EBAY near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You know that time when you bid on something, only to realise you don't want it, don't need it or you made a mistake.
I bid on some 2nd hand Road Shoes that had the SPD 2 hole system which I don't use. I didn't read the ad properly.
I spent the whole week being the high bidder but was saved by a final 11th hour bid of £22.00 or thereabouts.
Phew.
It is so easy to get carried away and to not read the descriptions properly.

Its also so easy to get Into a bidding war with someone especially when you are new to Ebay, then you make stupidly high bids on things that cost a pittance anywhere else. Thankfully after making a costly mistake or two you soon learn to put your maximum bid down then walk away until its all over. :okay:

The best way to avoid a bidding war AND not bid on something you latter decide you didn't want ....is not to bid yourself. Use a bid sniper site. Decide on your maximum bid and the site bids for you at the last moment. I use Gixen which appears to be the only reliable one at the moment. Free if you want them to use one server $6.99 a year if you want them to use a mirror server. Ie two servers in different parts of the country (US).
They will multi bid as in if you didn't get an item they will bid on another one. So if you wanted something and there were 10 of them they will keep bidding till you get one.
Also the bids go to UK Ebay, which saves messing about and complaining about a purchase to U.S. Ebay.
You can give consent for them to bid for you via Ebay although I am not sure if it's necessary.
I pay $6.99 not just for the mirror server but also because I believe in supporting sites which do a great job
I normally set the bids for 6 and 8 seconds from the end of the auction. Never fails to bid on time but there is no guarantee that someone else hasn't put a higher bid in earlier on. As I generally never check again I don't know I have won till I win...or not.
Of course if you save the item Ebay will tell you in advance that the auction is coming to an end.
Bought plenty of items and resold them on Ebay, Musto jacket bought for £43 sold on for £120 for instance. Probably sniped 10 jackets before I got the one I wanted to resell.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ebay can ban you if you retract too many bids. I don't know how often they do this.

The system doesn't work well if people retract bids; currently you are free to bid on other items if you're outbid, but a retracted bid could leave you as the top bidder again, then you might need to retract your bid in turn to avoid buying two items.

Kryton521

Über Member
Missed out on some rollers. The very expensive ones that hook up to your computer? My memory isn't working this morning. Opening bid of a £1 !!! Ooh I went for it. All the way to £30+ but it got silly very quickly thereafter so I don't know what it finally sold for. Think new they are £700+

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never seen a retract bid option. The one time I tried to do it, I had to contact the seller and ask that they retract the bid. They didn't respond. Luckily I was outbid but had I not been, I would have had to either buy it or be one of "those" people who win the bid and then go silent

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My 'amusing' moment was a couple of years ago.
I was on my mobile, at work, watching & waiting, waiting, waiting for the last chance to buy summat. A really good deal it was, too!

Few seconds to go, I upped the bid and pressed the button only to be told I had to be logged it to do that 😂

D

Deleted member 26715

Do people still eBay much? I used to use it a lot but I thought it had largely become the MySpace of online commerce now.
Still my go to place

gbb

Legendary Member
I won some cheap Gators once, couldn't understand why they were so cheap....errr,27 inch you dummy, I didnt read it properly.
Message the seller to apologise and ask he cancel the transaction. He was bit peeved and suggested i read the description properly.
My answer...i have apologised , I made a mistake, just cancel it and move on.
I dont like apologising twice,for some reason it irks me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Can't remember why but I once won an item then found I didnt want it so messaged the seller, apologised and made a PayPal payment to him / her to cover transaction costs plus a couple quid and left positive feedback immediately. Probably would have been a good thing to do to the tyre seller above with hindsight.

Top Bottom