eBay recumbent trike: thoughts needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've spotted this recumbent trike on eBay which quite possibly meets my needs to get cycling again but I don't know a lot about them.

From what I see and have read and one or two of you have 'spoken' with me about, it seems to tick all the boxes for my back injury and recovery. I'm recovering from a back injury and subsequent surgery, the injury itself has left me with issues down my right leg, but my consultant has given the go ahead for me to try to get back to cycling.

Total Noob question (though i am pretty certain i know the answer)
Do I assume that the pedals and crank move for leg length and you shorten the chain accordingly?

Anyone any thoughts on the condition? Questions to ask the seller?

I would prefer the ability to put panniers on the recumbent and this one has a rack so ticks that box.
Seat appears to be a reasonable height and adjustable and I am able to get up off a low sofa without too many problems now albeit slowly.

It's a bit of a gamble and a lot of money for me not having yet even ridden a recumbent but it is the first one I have seen come up on eBay that has actually stood out as being suitable and I have been watching for one now for 4-5 weeks...

Plus now I have to go ahead from my consultant to start cycling again, I just want to get back out.
EBay link here

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Total Noob question (though i am pretty certain i know the answer)
Do I assume that the pedals and crank move for leg length and you shorten the chain accordingly?
If you read someone's question at the bottom of the listing he mentions it Emma. That looks lovely. Don't know anything about them to advise you though but I'm sure plenty on here do.

This is a well respected brand, and the Scorpion is a fine machine. It has an adjustable seat and the boom can be lengthened and shortened to fit the rider

I have two of their trikes, and a two wheel tourer

They can also be modified with "stand up aids" o assist mounting and dismounting

The price is also reasonable

However recumbents are not for everyone, and buying one blind is always going to be a gamble

The manufacturer's website is here including the manual showing how the various adjustments work

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
This is a well respected brand, and the Scorpion is a fine machine. It has an adjustable seat and the boom can be lengthened and shortened to fit the rider

I have two of their trikes, and a two wheel tourer

They can also be modified with "stand up aids" o assist mounting and dismounting

The price is also reasonable

However recumbents are not for everyone, and buying one blind is always going to be a gamble

The manufacturer's website is here including the manual showing how the various adjustments work
Sadly buying blind is all I can do at the moment. I'm not able to sit up vertically to travel in a car yet but can manage the angle that seat is at for sensible lengths of time. Long enough to start cycling again on the local converted railway line or our lane.

The fact it folds and is a touring one is important to me and I've known since my return to cycling after major wrist surgery and an accident that left me with balance issues and paralysis down my left side of the body that I would eventually end up needing a trike and tbh if I had known about recumbent when I returned to cycling from my wrist injury, I probably would already be using one.

What 'issues' do people encounter moving over to one?

It's good to know they can be modified to have stand up aids if that is an issue for me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Could you other half go and try it? I know it's a bit of a distance but he sounds nice and helpful, and quite happy to have someone try it first.

I've only ever mucked around on a cheap trike and it was fun for the short time I was on it.

How does the back position look for you? Is that sort of position ok currently for short periods?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
How does the back position look for you? Is that sort of position ok currently for short periods?
Yep, I can manage that for short period. I'm currently managing an angle of around 55-60 degrees from horizontal for several hours. Standing and walking for around half an hour and sitting in a chair for 10 minutes...

This is all personal, so do not take it as absolute, opinions may differ

I have ridden trikes for over 20 years and at present own three. The Catrike Expedition and HP Velotechnik Gekko are similar to the Scorpion, the other a Kettwiesel is completely different

1. Mounting and dismounting
The main issue is that they are low, and this can cause problems lowering into the seat and getting up. You can use the handlebars, but for my wife I fitted teh stand up aids to help her with this,they are detachable, and do not affect the fold
P8170266_zpsb57e737b.jpg

2. Storage and Folding

Trikes take up a lot of room and even folding does not entirely solve this issue. The footprint of a folded recumbent trike is still not small
(Again note this a Gekko)

P8280026.jpg

Also the fold is not all that practicable as the trike is heavy. I tend to lay it on one side to fold. Also even ehen folded the machine is bulky to carry or move. The package is also "unwieldy" as there are no obvious hand holds to carry it with

3. General riding
There is a total myth that these mean that you cannot filter or move in traffic. With careful riding they can (and do) most tasks that a touring or commuting bike can manage

You do have to be aware that placing in traffic is important and use of the primary solves most visibility issues. If you want- hen use a flag, they can be custommade, which adds a personal touch. Handling is superb, and you can corner faster and with more confidence than on an upright

4. Maintenance
They are a different shape - that is it!
Maintenance is the same as for any other bike

5. Lighting
Again not an issue, there are lots of fittings - on mine I use a "SpaceGrip" (The silver bar on the dérailleur post) to mount standard front lights, and rear lights mount on the carrier

Hope that this makes sense

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
another thing to possibly consider and I have no idea myself, is do all models have the capability to add an electric assist at a later date?Not necessarily by the manufacturer.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
This is all personal, so do not take it as absolute, opinions may differ

I have ridden trikes for over 20 years and at present own three. The Catrike Expedition and HP Velotechnik Gekko are similar to the Scorpion, the other a Kettwiesel is completely different

1. Mounting and dismounting
The main issue is that they are low, and this can cause problems lowering into the seat and getting up. You can use the handlebars, but for my wife I fitted teh stand up aids to help her with this,they are detachable, and do not affect the fold
P8170266_zpsb57e737b.jpg

2. Storage and Folding

Trikes take up a lot of room and even folding does not entirely solve this issue. The footprint of a folded recumbent trike is still not small
(Again note this a Gekko)

P8280026.jpg

Also the fold is not all that practicable as the trike is heavy. I tend to lay it on one side to fold. Also even ehen folded the machine is bulky to carry or move. The package is also "unwieldy" as there are no obvious hand holds to carry it with

3. General riding
There is a total myth that these mean that you cannot filter or move in traffic. With careful riding they can (and do) most tasks that a touring or commuting bike can manage

You do have to be aware that placing in traffic is important and use of the primary solves most visibility issues. If you want- hen use a flag, they can be custommade, which adds a personal touch. Handling is superb, and you can corner faster and with more confidence than on an upright

4. Maintenance
They are a different shape - that is it!
Maintenance is the same as for any other bike

5. Lighting
Again not an issue, there are lots of fittings - on mine I use a "SpaceGrip" (The silver bar on the dérailleur post) to mount standard front lights, and rear lights mount on the carrier

Hope that this makes sense
Yep, perfect sense and thank you, it is very helpful. It won't ever be me folding or lifting it. Luckily we have the room outside to store it, assuming I sell my road and mtb or at least the mtb. My spine is now never going to allow me to ride trails again and even if I recover more use of the right leg I can't see how any 2 wheeler is ever going to be suitable for me again sadly.

From the eBay auction, what do you all think re the condition of the bike etc. Of the suspension going to be an issue maintenance wise? Do any of you know if there are things to watch out for with the suspension?

Top Bottom