eBay recumbent trike: thoughts needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Crutches is very simple

1. Use "broom / pipe clips of a suitable size, then using jubilee clips, attach to the seat / frame at the top then the bottom then just clip them in
2. There are a number of seat based crutch holders for mobility scooters / wheelchairs that can easliy be adapted
3. Attach two lengths of suitable width PVC pipe to the seat / frame (this can affect the fold)
I like your thinking!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been using a small rucksac (Laptop bag) with them taken apart but still sticking up like beetle antennae either side but that's on an upright trike. :biggrin:

Some Ebay offerings may have hidden history the vendor suggests hardly used by past and present owners .
But the rear cogs and chain plus headsets have been replaced "cause trikes bearings have high loads on the front wheels "
Considering the Scorpion has done less than an estimated 600 miles ..........or lets say 1000 ..........???
Throw in fading on parts of the seat cushions ........brake pad overhauls ..........it may have been "stored" or simply left outside for a few years
Alarm bells start to ring ...........what else is lurking ?????????
Buying blind without riding ..............Er No :stop:

It's a bit of a gamble and a lot of money for me not having yet even ridden a recumbent but it is the first one I have seen come up on eBay that has actually stood out as being suitable and I have been watching for one now for 4-5 weeks...

Plus now I have to go ahead from my consultant to start cycling again, I just want to get back out.
EBay link here

Last edited by a moderator:
I would still try and give Kevin a ring, if only to talk to him and see what he thinks is suitable for you and to see what he's got in stock and at what price.
If he has something suitable and at the right price, I'm sure it could be shipped to yours or someone could collect it for you.
Plus that way, you may pay a little more but you're less likely to buy a lemon ..... ^_^

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sadly I'm not even able to get to my doctors let alone to Ely which is a good 4 (?) hours away which is why I am considering this one off eBay. It has been first one that looks like I stand a chance with.

I'll watch it over the week and see what it does. I would probably need to change the crank arm lengths at the very minimum. They are 175mm and I suspect and have read that for someone of my height (which is now slightly shorter than before!) that 170mm is better. All of my other bikes are 172.5's

I have checked the height of the sofa that I can just get up off and it is 33cm height, so I'm optimistic that 39cm height for this trike seat is OK and I need something that takes panniers. Also from what I have read I can if needed even get a bracket that could to the pianist rack and rear of the seat to transport my crutches! :biggrin:

We shall see what happens... Whilst I am desperate to get out cycling again, I won't pay silly money for it but sadly even at being just over an hour away, it is too far for me to travel in a car yet!
I'd give him a ring still.
He's only an hour from us, we could go and look, take pics etc if it would be helpful to you at all.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'd give him a ring still.
He's only an hour from us, we could go and look, take pics etc if it would be helpful to you at all.
Any excuse to go and have a shot yourself ! :laugh:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Have you tried sitting on your sofa, in roughly the position you would be on a/this trike - and raising your legs up so they are above you hips, (very) roughly into the position you might be adopting on a trike ? You wouldn't meed to support yor legs there, just check you can get them there - then try a 'practise pedal' :thumbsup:

Som

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - Have you tried sitting on your sofa, in roughly the position you would be on a/this trike - and raising your legs up so they are above you hips, (very) roughly into the position you might be adopting on a trike ? You wouldn't meed to support yor legs there, just check you can get them there - then try a 'practise pedal' :thumbsup:

I bought the Gekko blind(ish)

I knew HP Velotechnik and had ridden the Scorpion so was happy with their trike format

Somewhere I have drawings of the two bikes overlaid, and will look it out as it will allow you to look at angles

I believe mine was the first Gekko in the UK!

Saluki

World class procrastinator

Poot. Rumbled instantly.
It was a genuine offer though @SatNavSaysStraightOn

byegad

Legendary Member
35cm is quite high for a tadpole, both of mine are 8" high (about 20cm) the lower the seat the faster you can corner without leaning off the trike on the inside. My Kett's seat is 18" (about 55cm)above the ground and has canted rear wheels (It's a delta.) in order to add stability when cornered fast. Scorpions are well engineered, some would say over engineered and so should last a long time with some TLC. This tends to make them quiet heavy.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!

Ironically something closer to that position is all I can maintain with any ease.!
Seriously, I have a physio wedge (i can only sit up using the angle shown for her legs in the photo, not the one for the back) which goes on the sofa or bed which then had several pillows to soften it. I have 2 pillows at the top and 1 at the bottom of the wedge. I then have 2 thick pillow under my knees to raise them and tilt the pelvis. I would have 2 under my feet as well but we ran out of pillows! Like that I can lay all day and have been since it happened :sad:

@Saluki thank you. I will bear that in mind.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, I also had spinal surgery fusion to top and bottom of spine, cage inserted and 7 implants. Trikes are so forgiving to ride ,stable and you can pad the seat to suit your posture. Neckrests are adjustable too. Don't rush into anything straight away [ BUYING } do some research first, Many trike pilots on here with similar health problems which will give you good advice. Plenty of youtube recumbent trike videos to watch [ VERY ADDICTIVE] Recumbents are cool to ride and I showed a picture of one to my surgeon who previously told me to forget about riding my road bike and look for something different, he smiled and said that's not a bike its an armchair! he wasn't far off the mark. D.tek is good advice where you can try different trikes and hopefully find something which fits you 6-8 weeks recuperation and you can take a trip down, trust me I have gone through 7 recumbents trying to find the right one but my condition wasn't getting better , that's my excuse. Keep you spirits up healing is also in the mind cant wait to see you in the summer with a shiny trike picture on here.

Here we are, the grey is the Gekko frame, and the green that of the Scorpion

GEKKOgegenSCO.jpg

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Here we are, the grey is the Gekko frame, and the green that of the Scorpion

GEKKOgegenSCO.jpg
Have you noticed any problems with larger panniers on the gekko? I was reading that there could potentially be issues with rear ortlieb panniers and the rear derailleur because of the 20 inch wheel size. Is this the case because I have no plans to quit touring and will need it to be able to take the larger size panniers (yeah, I know I'm a stubborn bugger)

Archeress

Veteran
Hi Em,

I don't own a recumbent but a chap at the cycles club does. He stands well over 6 foot, at a guess, he is about 6ft 4in, and he gets in and out of his recumbent trike quite easily. I'm not saying it means it will be easy for you. Also concerning loading the trike, Craig is of the opinion that it is the best bike he owns for hauling heavy loads on a trailer. To put you in the picture, Craig does not drive so moves everything by bike, from his weekly shop to on one occasion a heavy PA system. I believe he has said he has hauled a load of 150kg on a trailer quite easily. Craig owns quite a fleet of bikes including a cargo bike, so if he says the recumbent is the best for hauling things, then I guess it is. Also there is the added advantage of the front wheels being a similar width to the trailer, so if the bike goes through, then the trailer will too.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom