eBay recumbent trike: thoughts needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you noticed any problems with larger panniers on the gekko? I was reading that there could potentially be issues with rear ortlieb panniers and the rear derailleur because of the 20 inch wheel size. Is this the case because I have no plans to quit touring and will need it to be able to take the larger size panniers (yeah, I know I'm a stubborn bugger)

I have a Rohloff!

Howewver more seriously

The Ortlieb back packers are fine and do not interfere with the tensioner

On my wife's Gekko there is a steel rod that protects the derailleur and this again prevents any issues. We have used a pair of BAck rollrers and a "top bag" with no issues

It is however not compatible withthe recumbent bags from Ortlieb, I have never tried this, just accepted the statement from Ortlieb

Finally I have used an old Radical design medium side pod with no issues

Hi Em,

I don't own a recumbent but a chap at the cycles club does. He stands well over 6 foot, at a guess, he is about 6ft 4in, and he gets in and out of his recumbent trike quite easily. I'm not saying it means it will be easy for you. Also concerning loading the trike, Craig is of the opinion that it is the best bike he owns for hauling heavy loads on a trailer. To put you in the picture, Craig does not drive so moves everything by bike, from his weekly shop to on one occasion a heavy PA system. I believe he has said he has hauled a load of 150kg on a trailer quite easily. Craig owns quite a fleet of bikes including a cargo bike, so if he says the recumbent is the best for hauling things, then I guess it is. Also there is the added advantage of the front wheels being a similar width to the trailer, so if the bike goes through, then the trailer will too.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

Hugs
Archeress x

Double wheel traiers only!

The single ones like the BoB Yak try are designed to tilt withteh bike, and will still try to do so when attached to a trike. This causes a twistiong force to the rear frame.

SOme companies state that a single wheel trailer should not be used, and ithers don't

Personally I hav erred on the side of caution and use a Carry Freedom

Archeress

Veteran
Double wheel traiers only!

The single ones like the BoB Yak try are designed to tilt withteh bike, and will still try to do so when attached to a trike. This causes a twistiong force to the rear frame.

SOme companies state that a single wheel trailer should not be used, and ithers don't

Personally I hav erred on the side of caution and use a Carry Freedom

Yeah, I should have mentioned the 2 wheel trailer bit.... :cycle:

Hugs
Archeress x

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I would get in contact with Kevin at Dtek.
Contact info -> Kevin Dunseath, Tel. 01353 648 177, Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com
He's based in Little Thetford near Ely.
He has the best range of secondhand bents that I know of and if you can get there you can try out a full range.

The trick with a bent trike is to run wide tyres at lowish pressure to smooth out a lot of the road buzz.
I run Marathon Supremes (42-406) on the front and a Big Apple (50-406) on the back of my trike, they are all run at around 65 psi for comfort.
One advantage of the 20" back wheel is it will be easier to gear it down if you have a weak leg.
Just had a long chat with Kevin. You'll be glad to know you were mentioned ;)
Hopefully he may be able to come up with something for me... Fingers crossed

Even better if you can get it on hire for a month or so with the option to buy it if you get on with it.
And can off it as well ............. :giggle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Fingers crossed Kevin is and to find me something soon, very soon...

I was told to ask you (all) how many times you have left the parking brake on and tried to cycle away...

Now goes off to hide in corner
Even I did that when I tried one, I found it easier not to put it on instead:whistle:

Last edited:
I've set off a few times with the parking brake on before now.

It's even more fun when both your hydraulic front brakes freeze on and the only way to release them is by pedalling fast enough they get so hot they unfreeze.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
After several long conversations and various emails with Kevin, he is now pricing up a new modular build for me using my existing Rohloff hub and wheel plus my own rack and rear brake blocks etc.

Looking at blue Ice Adventure recumbent trike, drum brakes on single pull lever and using my Rohloff hub on 26 inch rear wheel, the adaptor for ear out of seat.

Hopefully I might be able to finalise it on Monday or Tuesday.

Top Bottom