eBay recumbent trike: thoughts needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Ahh, I thought he was there at your beck and call today, ready to be summoned to your every whim as supplied by random strangers on the internet. I realize you can't nip in and out.
I had sent him out He was out doing the food shopping for the week! :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Is it the chain skating over the Rohloff's sprocket or on the chainring itself?
yes. in 3 letters. the sprocket shows no wear whatsoever and has done less than 2-3,000km and has been reversed in that time (bearings were greased). I expected to get at least 14,000km from it if not more!
How badly is the chain jumping ??
too badly to use. top of every pedal stroke in each side to the point where I can not keep my foot in the toe strap (remember I can't use spd's).
On a single chain ring we can get it setup so that it does not skip at all.. that is the middle chain ring, so under tension it is fine. Once it drops to the inner chain ring chaos reigns. and it is consistent through the entire chain length so none of the chains give any difference. Same chain manufacture and model as it was running on my expedition bike (where the wheel came from)

I'll look at the B screw tomorrow morning. It can't make matters worse. Worst case scenario I only have the middle chainring available until my OH can fit either the 2nd hand Rohloff chain tensioner which looks desperately short - but perhaps that is just the photos, or the long reach derailleur which hopefully have a strong spring. I did mention it to Kevin the need for one with a strong spring and he agreed.

yes. in 3 letters. the sprocket shows no wear whatsoever and has done less than 2-3,000km and has been reversed in that time (bearings were greased). I expected to get at least 14,000km from it if not more!

too badly to use. top of every pedal stroke in each side to the point where I can not keep my foot in the toe strap (remember I can't use spd's).
On a single chain ring we can get it setup so that it does not skip at all.. that is the middle chain ring, so under tension it is fine. Once it drops to the inner chain ring chaos reigns. and it is consistent through the entire chain length so none of the chains give any difference. Same chain manufacture and model as it was running on my expedition bike (where the wheel came from)

I'll look at the B screw tomorrow morning. It can't make matters worse. Worst case scenario I only have the middle chainring available until my OH can fit either the 2nd hand Rohloff chain tensioner which looks desperately short - but perhaps that is just the photos, or the long reach derailleur which hopefully have a strong spring. I did mention it to Kevin the need for one with a strong spring and he agreed.
Here's a way test whether a stronger spring in the tensioner will work:

Rig an elasticated bungee from somewhere under the bike to the rear derailer. Somehow attach it to the derailer's cage. That would tell you what's what.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I ran some tests on one of my bikes that has a 46-34-22 and the long cage Alivio MTB rear mech will allow all 3 fronts to be selected and run fine with the chain in the centre of the cassette (17or19 tooth) so I think its just that the Sora will not work with such a difference as it is too short and the paralell spring is redundant so it is only the dolly wheel spring that is taking the tension.
Another thought would be to run a tube guide on the bottom run of the chain to support the weight with a short bungee cord supporting the end of the guide. (they are really easy to shorten just push the knot out of the hooky bit, tie another knot at the right length then cut off the excess cord and the knot will pull back into the spiral on the hooky bit

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Having now seen a pic of your trike from the rear (:giggle:) I can see it already has tube chain guides to stop the chain 'bouncing' so I think just fitting a long cage rear mech should sort it and enable all 3 front rings to be used. I would suggest trying to 'lock out' the adjustment though using the limit screws to stop the mech from moving sideways and spitting the chain off, possibly a longer screw on 1 of the stops once it is aligned with the sprocket or use a very short length of cable with the nipple in the adjuster and the bare end in the clamp so that you can turn the adjuster to lock it into place.

Top Bottom