eBay recumbent trike: thoughts needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I will - the freedom it has given me already is wonderful. The last time I actually got further away from home than 400m without being on a stretcher was back at the beginning of November... over 4 months ago now. Just to have made it 2 miles away from home is wonderful! I don't care how many mountain bikers over took me, its not important. But I must get the crutches on the bike... it will reassure me somewhat to say the least. I am just waiting for some parts to arrive in the post which should help to deal with that along with some Velcro which I must locate!

Yaaaaaay! You're out and about! Fantastic!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wouldnt a chain tensionr they use on a single speed work better , unless im missing something its only acting as a chain tensioner?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Wouldnt a chain tensionr they use on a single speed work better , unless im missing something its only acting as a chain tensioner?

SatNav is looking to take up the tension/slack from different sized front chain rings, so a tensioner would need some spring in it, rather than being set.

A derailleur ought to work but doesn't.

My guess is the chain line is so long, the weight of the chain to be tensioned is too much for a standard derailleur spring.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I've just spoken with Kevin and he is sending me a long reach derailuer with a good strong spring in it and a lightly used 2nd hand rohloff chain tensioner out on Monday in the same parcel as some bits he forgot to put on the trike on Wednesday, for us to try out. Given I am spinning out on the 34t middle chainring on a very slight downhill incline, he is keen to get the outer chainring up and running and believes that the long reach derailuer should work if the Rohloff one does not. It looks like it is simply a case of the current derailuer not managing to pull in the chain slack caused by dropping onto the inner chainring.

cyberknight

SatNav is looking to take up the tension/slack from different sized front chain rings, so a tensioner would need some spring in it, rather than being set.

A derailleur ought to work but doesn't.

My guess is the chain line is so long, the weight of the chain to be tensioned is too much for a standard derailleur spring.
fair enough :smile:

cyberknight

So , a long cage MTB mech would be the way to go ?
I am midlyt interested myself for future reference in case i ever go the same route ( bike wise )

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
So , a long cage MTB mech would be the way to go ?
I am midlyt interested myself for future reference in case i ever go the same route ( bike wise )
hopefully because they can take up more slack chain that a short or medium length cage, but you need a strong string to deal with the weight of the chains. there are 3 joined together here.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
On my old Trice, I fitted a derailleur tensioner to assist in pulling the derailleur back. I am not sure if this is an obsolete item as I got it off eBay and then upgraded the spring to it. I needed this as the existing derailleur simply wasn't strong enough to cope with the extra chain weight. It worked really well......and I bought a spare at the same time - so if your other solutions don't work for you SNSO, drop me a.mail and I will post it out to you. It is only a tiny part, easy to fit, and works.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
In the meantime, have you tried this? ^ It will add more tension. May not work but you won't get the gear until Monday earliest.
I won't be able to get back out to the bike until tomorrow... I'm very limited as to what I can actually do and how many times I can go up and down the stairs. Neither my right leg nor my back can manage it and I am on my own again so can't risk falling... it will have to be a pre-ride job tomorrow if I am able to manage it.
My OH is not that technical and something like the B screw just does not exist for him!

I won't be able to get back out to the bike until tomorrow... I'm very limited as to what I can actually do and how many times I can go up and down the stairs. Neither my right leg nor my back can manage it and I am on my own again so can't risk falling... it will have to be a pre-ride job tomorrow if I am able to manage it.
My OH is not that technical and something like the B screw just does not exist for him!
Ahh, I thought he was there at your beck and call today, ready to be summoned to your every whim as supplied by random strangers on the internet. I realize you can't nip in and out.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Just looked on eBay and the part I mentioned is described as new old stock. Made by Tektro.....see picture, mine were both purple and considerably cheaper than those now listed.
Screenshot_2015-03-07-16-11-37.png

How badly is the chain jumping ??

My first new chain ran fine on the new 21 tooth sprocket. It did around 7.5k miles in a year
My second new chain jumped slightly at the start but soon bedded in and stopped jumping after a couple of hundred miles. It did 8k miles in a year.
My third chain jumped badly and was basically unusable until I reversed the sprocket. Now it's running fine. I'm hoping for another 8k miles out of it and that I'll be able to run a fourth chain before replacing the sprocket.

Top Bottom