eBay: what's this then? Colnago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That's a bit sad it isn't used any more ;). Sounds like the wrong size for me.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Downtube shifters are OK. There are two bad things

(1) It is possible to whack them with a knee while going up a really steep hill. This means either that the chain gets stuck across the block while going from 42x25 to 42x11 followed by clipless fall into hedge or the chain makes it to the 11 and the rest of the climb is done at a cadence of about 12 rpm.

(2) when you ride your other bike which doesn't have downtube shifters the right arm is forever hunting about for non-existent gear levers.

SJ a bit of TLC and it will be good as new

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
get it and spend some cash on a new groupset. it would be worth it on such a beautiful bike.
Not with a colour scheme like that it won't. Colnago must have built it during his "Puke" period.

No matter how good it might have been in it's day, a fairly budget end offering from Trek or Giant would probably give better performance now. Not worth spending cash on upgrading it unless you specifically want a retro machine.

Rob S

Smokin Joe said:
Not with a colour scheme like that it won't. Colnago must have built it during his "Puke" period.

I'm not convinced it is a Colnago....whilst the decal on the seat tube is classic Sarronni era with the logo on the side it's way to high up the tube to me....plus of course the lack of anything on the downtube. Also old steel Colnagos had two brake cable braze-ons on the top tube not three.

Rob S said:
I'm not convinced it is a Colnago....whilst the decal on the seat tube is classic Sarronni era with the logo on the side it's way to high up the tube to me....plus of course the lack of anything on the downtube. Also old steel Colnagos had two brake cable braze-ons on the top tube not three.

I was right there with you until you got to the cable guides, mines a late eighties and has three. I don't think it's a Colnago, he's saying unknown make. Either he can't read or he knows it's had a 'sticker upgrade'. The fork has what looks like a 'HiTen' label on it and I can't believe that Ernesto would ever have installed Exage. Willing to be proved wrong but personally, I wouldn't touch it.

Top Bottom