EBC Bike Maintenance Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugo15

Über Member
Went on one of the Intensive Bike Maintenance courses with the Edinburgh Bike Co-op yesterday at their Newcastle store. It was fantastic. Covered all the things that I wanted to know such as how to set up your gears, stripping the hubs and headset, removing the bottom bracket, repairing a puncture, brake set up, plus other useful stuff. Cost was £45, but you can take your own bike along, so the bike gets a good service and you learn how to do it as well. It is run by one of the shop mechanics so you pick up some useful tips and tricks as well and finding out what to do.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who is keen to have a go at maintaining their own bike but just doesn't have the confidence to do it.

Right off to Wiggle to order some tools :blush:

I'm seriously (although somewhat procrastinatingly) considering doing a two-week City and Guilds course in bike mechanics in the New Year.
My main intention is to fix, adjust, dabble with, save money with my own bike, but also, at a later stage in life, possibly work in a bike shop somewhere, either temporarily or permanantly.
Did the course you do cover just the basics, or was it a bit more thorough?
Thanks! :blush:

Pottsy

Dayvo - I was thinking exactly the same as you.

I've heard the Bike Inn courses (Lincolnshire) are good. Which 'schools' were you looking at?

Ah, just noticed Stockholm in your profile so I guess you'll be doing that a bit nearer home!

Pottsy said:
Dayvo - I was thinking exactly the same as you.

I've heard the Bike Inn courses (Lincolnshire) are good. Which 'schools' were you looking at?

Ah, just noticed Stockholm in your profile so I guess you'll be doing that a bit nearer home!

Pottsy!
Actually I was thinking of doing the course at Bike Inn, too. Sometime in Feb/Mar next year. There are courses here, but it would definitely be more fun in England, and probably better from a 'qualification' point of view, as well.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I've looked for courses near where i live, but i cant seem to find any. The LBS gives me tips when i need them, but most of the time it goes to the LBS when anything big(ish) needs doing that i havent got the confidence for.
I think i will look at the two-week City and Guilds bike mechanics course, so i can save more money.

Abitrary

From what I see from LBS repairs, most of what they do should be straightforward and doable yourself. I think where they come in to their own is for older / weird bikes that they often have to hack with bits they have around and maybe with tools that you wouldn't have, and wouldn't be worth your time and money procuring.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Dayvo said:
I'm seriously (although somewhat procrastinatingly) considering doing a two-week City and Guilds course in bike mechanics in the New Year.
My main intention is to fix, adjust, dabble with, save money with my own bike, but also, at a later stage in life, possibly work in a bike shop somewhere, either temporarily or permanantly.
Did the course you do cover just the basics, or was it a bit more thorough?
Thanks! :blush:

I did the EBC Intensive course back in February, and I'd agree that it was a bargain at £45. I went in ignorant and came out raring to fix things ! In April I stripped the bike down for a complete service - bottom brackets, hubs & bearings, steerer tube bearings, gears, replaced the cranks and the cassette etc etc. Before that I wouldn't even adjust the gears for fear of breaking something !

It's a bit more thorough than just the basics (which you can do on a cheaper, half-day course at the EBC).

OP
OP
Hugo15

Hugo15

Über Member
Sorry Dayvo, been busy at work. It's just as goo-mason says in the above post. I do wonder what you learn on a two week course in addition to what what covered in a day at the EBC.

Top Bottom