Ebike advice Giant Entour E+1 disc hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Spotted the 2019 version of these reduced and thinking of ordering one as my TSDZ2 ebiked hybrid seems to have terminal issues and rather than spending more £ and time trying to sought it out a proper ebike looks attractive. This seems to be the best deal on the Giant
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/3717/products/giant-entour-e1-disc-e-hybrid-bike-2019-steel-blue.aspx
Bike size I seem to fall into the M/L on some Giant charts and either possibly M or L on others, as my Defy is a large but I have had to reduced the stem down to 80mm I presuming a M would be more appropriate.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Giant's Syncdrive motor is a rebadged Yamaha.

Nothing wrong with that, although the Bosch motor is reckoned to be more refined in terms of power delivery and general operation.

I've ridden both, Yamaha only a few miles, and I reckon the Bosch is a bit nicer, but I'd be content to own a Yamaha if the bike ticked other boxes.

Price is pretty good.

You might get a Bosch bike for close to that money, but most are £1,500 and above.

The carrier battery looks like it might be top heavy, but in my limited experience of that style you don't notice.

It has speed, cadence, and torque sensors - very like the Bosch motor.

I suspect your kit won't have a torque sensor, so the ride of the Yamaha ought to feel more refined.

Torque sensors encourage you to put in some effort which means you won't be able to 'glass pedal' to rely entirely on the motor.

To me, that's a benefit.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
The battery looks like it might be top heavy, but in my limited experience of that style you don't notice.

It has speed, cadence, and torque sensors - very like the Bosch motor.

I suspect your kit won't have a torque sensor, so the ride of the Yamaha ought to feel more refined.
Thanks, I put the battery on my conversion on top of the pannier rack so I do not see any issues with the battery location. The TSDZ2 does have a torque sensor, in fact that's what failed on it given the scratching on the inside but the replacement would only fit with some assistance from a hammer when it should simply slide in and presumably got damaged as a result. For its general use, short commutes and shopping trips the Yahama motor should suffice and reviews of the bike seem positive and a comparison of motor outputs implies the Yahama has better functionality on hills.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Yamaha motor ought to be better quality and more reliable than the Tongsheng.

It's a classic example of a Japanese copy of a European (Bosch) design, and is often the case, the Japanese have done a good job.

There was a Yamaha motor in bits on the workbench of my local bike shop when I last visited.

But it looked like it had been thrashed in a proper mountain biking environment, which is asking a lot of any ebike motor.

Plenty of Bosch motors failed for the same reason, although they've made millions so the failure rate is probably low.

Very few reported failures in road and cycle path use.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Just been to All Terrain at Wetherby and tried for size the 2020 model in large, could just reach the bars relatively comfortably with them straight but quickly decided a Giant medium non ebike hybrid was a better fit so looks like a medium being offered.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Quite a surprise this morning to see a delivery van backing towards my drive, that was quick delivery. Assembled (front wheel, handlebars,pedals and bell), seat aligned and now keeping its relation, a Defy, company in the bike shed while it's battery thaws out before being put on charge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom