ebike battery charging question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I'm looking to get a ebike (Link below.) The problem is, I've heard so many differences of opinion regarding charging the battery up now, that I no longer know which is the best method to keep the battery in good order? The battery states it has 500 charges and some people say you should charge the battery even if it's only lost 20% of it's full charge. So basically charge it back up every time you've used the ebike. If that's the case would that count as 1 out of the 500 charges been used, even though you've only needed to charge it back up 20%?

Then there's other people who say you should let it get down to about 20% remaining and then charge it back up to around 90%. Can someone who know about these batteries help me out here on the correct procedure? Thank you!

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...use-mens-electric-hybrid-bike-17-19-21-frames

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Charge cycles are only an estimate as to when the battery will lose significant capacity.

In other words, your battery should do 500 before its range decreases markedly.

For what it's worth a full cycle is deemed to be a 100 percent discharge, so five 20 percent discharges from full would count as one cycle.

The battery works better from full, so it's always best to start a ride with a full battery.

On t'other hand, batteries don't like being left full for extended periods, so it's best to charge the night before a ride and leave the battery part charged after the ride.

Batteries like to be used, so longest life is achieved through regular, moderate, use.

Also worth bearing in mind the passage of time will eventually kill the battery, no matter how careful you are with it.

That length of time varies, some cheap, Chinese batteries die after two or three years.

Better quality packs last twice that long or longer.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheers for the advise. I'm getting fitter with leg power alone because I'm doing 100 miles a week now. I really like these eBikes though and want to use it when I really can't be bothered using leg power. I just hope I'm not wasting my money. Do you think this looks like a decent eBike for the money? Good parts and a good battery? Thank you..

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...use-mens-electric-hybrid-bike-17-19-21-frames

The bike uses the latest version of the Bosch motor, which has proven to be generally reliable.

It has the smaller 400wh battery which will give a shorter range than the 500wh battery fitted to a lot of Bosch bikes.

The Carrera is good value in the sense that Bosch equipped bikes are never cheap - the 400wh battery costs less than the 500wh one so that helps to keep the price down.

Speaking of battery cost, Bosch batteries of any size are not cheap to replace - about £600.

However, they seem to last, I have one that is approaching six years old and still appears to hold as much charge as it ever did.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

@Pale Rider - So you a eBike that uses a Bosch battery and the battery's lasted 6 years? How many miles would you say you've got out of it roughly?

@Freelanderuk - Do you have a link to the Bike you are talking about? Is it a Cerrera cube or a different make? Also is it a Hybrid or a Mountain Bike? Cheers!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's 400wh and I can get up to 40 miles.

As you may know, range varies enormously due to rider weight/fitness/hills/headwinds/motor setting, even ambient temperature.

All I would say is you on any given ride will get the about the same range from any legal ebike with the same size battery - they all use about the same amount of power.

The Cube referred to by the other poster is the German bike maker Cube - as good a brand as any.

Their Bosch bikes are usually good value, and you do see some offers.

Dozens of models on the company website, individual retailers only keep a tiny proportion.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/cube-bikes/

OP
OP
M

MBosh

@Pale Rider - I'm probably best sticking with the Carrera ebike because Halfords is right near me. Do you use your eBike often? What do you reckon to them?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider - I'm probably best sticking with the Carrera ebike because Halfords is right near me. Do you use your eBike often?

Having the retailer nearby is certainly a consideration.

A Cube on offer would probably be from an online retailer miles away.

Leisure use for me which means a ride or two most weekends.

Usually works out at about 3,000 miles a year.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

@Pale Rider - Just one last question if you don't mind. Do they require a lot of maintenance or are they like any other Bike when it comes to repairs? By that I mean, does the motor take care of itself? Also, are they alright to ride in wet weather or is it best to avoid wet conditions? Thank you!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Motor is maintenance free, the rest is standard bike bits.

Bosch describe their system as 'splash proof'.

I've ridden mine in torrential rain a few times, ordinary rain loads of times, and apart from the display misting once, there's been no problems.

My motor was fully submerged when I miscalculated a ford in North Yorkshire.

It even survived that, although I wouldn't recommend you try it.

Condensation is the enemy, putting the bike away wet is a big no-no.

Not difficult to avoid, most wet rides will be dry for the last mile or two, if not longer, so the bike will be dryish when you stop.

If you finish when it's still chucking it down, getting the bike undercover and giving it a wipe over is a good idea.

I'm assuming storage will routinely be undercover, an ebike left outside all the time wouldn't last long.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

@Pale Rider - I'm going to put the eBike in the garage and take the battery inside when I've finished with the bike. There's no electricity in my rented garage, so I'll have to charge the battery indoors. Would it be alright to keep the eBike garaged over winter and keep the battery indoors? Or would it be bad for the motor the eBike been left in a garage? I've just got no way of bringing the ebike indoors because I live in a block of flats. Cheers!

Top Bottom