Ebike court case

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I presume that the same verdict would have been given whether he was on a motorcycle or pedal cycle.
Either way it sounds like the pedestrian walked into the road. Criminal liability is a far higher bar than civil liability. We know that from loads of cases involving cars.

Reactions: C R

winjim

Smash the cistern
So the verdict is in on the case of a "cyclist" charged with causing death by careless driving, and driving without a licence, on an illegally quick electric motorbike.

The only thing this has to do with cycling is that the electric motorbike started life as a bicycle before being illegally modified.

I am baffled how this particular uninsured individual was given not guilty verdict. Can anyone enlighten?
He had right of way.

The wording of the article - including the quotes from the court - suggest that the main points were
He was going in a straight line along a straight road in clear visibility - the pedestrian basically walked/ran into him
He reacted quickly suggesting that he WAS paying attention

OK - from the CCTV I have seen that is not how I saw it - however she did leg it across the road and into him
I guess there was other evidence in the court - of a better view of the incident

I would still think he should be prosecuted for using the bike anyway - but I assume the court had a good reason for saying the actual collision was not his fault

Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The prosecution failed to convince the jury his riding was careless - below the standard of a competent driver or that he displayed a momentary lack of attention.

In other words, they accepted the defence barrister's submission: "His reactions were quicker than many confident and careful drivers in the time it took him to react to her stepping out, which suggests he was keeping a good look out."

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Dreadful prosecution lawyer - one of the things a "careful" driver does is adapt their speed, positioning and observation to the environment, so if one of those pesky pedestrians does do something unexpected they can take avoiding action. A halfway decent prosecutor could easily have shot down what is a fairly vague and non specific defence, and I've seen that very defence screwed over first hand in court more than once.

I'm surprised as well he got not guilty on the licence and insurance charges, when so many other people caught riding simiarly modified e-bikes have been successfully fingered for it.

But hey ho. All it needs is an indifferent prosecutor, or one not especially well versed in the sphere of law at hand, and a mad/indifferent/gullible jury and stuff like this happens.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
More reporting but no more sources yet at https://road.cc/content/news/271675...ing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving

That repeats the BBC report that he was not guilty of death-by-careless and driving-unlicensed, but I thought there was also an uninsured-motoring charge - do we know what happened to that?

This all feels a bit like a cyclist who did a few illegal but widespread mods has actually benefitted from the shoot that usually allows motorists to get away with killing cyclists too easily. Basically, the courts do not uphold the "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear" from the Highway Code. I'm very conflicted about this case!

D

Deleted member 26715

Maybe the victim wasn't well connected so didn't warrant the proper verdict, if only she had influencal friends

Smudge

Veteran
I'm gobsmacked that he was acquitted.
It certainly won't go any way to put off users of non road legal ebikes to carry on riding them wherever they please.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
More reporting but no more sources yet at https://road.cc/content/news/271675...ing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving

That repeats the BBC report that he was not guilty of death-by-careless and driving-unlicensed, but I thought there was also an uninsured-motoring charge - do we know what happened to that?

This all feels a bit like a cyclist who did a few illegal but widespread mods has actually benefitted from the shoot that usually allows motorists to get away with killing cyclists too easily. Basically, the courts do not uphold the "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear" from the Highway Code. I'm very conflicted about this case!
Don't understand why you are conflicted unless you think "now it"s our turn to flatten people" . No difference between speeding unlicenced irresponsible folk guiding illegally modified vehicles in my book, whether on four or two wheels. The defence appears to have been based on the self serving junk some drivers tell themselves about their oh so wonderful driving skills.

Top Bottom