Ebike court case

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

Yes, but wasn't that figure based soley on the single witness' statement mentioned in the article? Thought someone on here said that, and that the BBC article was therefore misreporting. People have a lot of trouble judging the speed of bicycles.

I'm not defending the cyclist, but if he was travelling at a normal bicycle speed then the issue becomes much less black and white.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The prosecution had no evidence of speeding in the sense of a camera reading to give an accurate number.

What they had was the estimate of another cyclist.

They used that evidence in bid to prove the rider was riding carelessly - a careful and competent rider would not ride at that (estimated) speed in those circumstances.

It is likely the jury accepted he killed the pedestrian, so to find him not guilty they must have rejected the contention he was riding carelessly.

He was driving the equivalent of a motorcycle without qualification and no insurance. And to cap it all he left the scene knowing that the person was at probably badly injured. Someone tried to stop him but he still rode off. He handed himself into the police because he knew he was bound to get caught with all the cameras around.
Clearly worthy of a decent sentence.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Clearly worthy of a decent sentence.

The jury begs to differ.

They only spent an hour considering the case after hearing all the evidence.

That they returned unanimous not guilty verdicts in a relatively short time suggests they thought the decision was clear cut.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why would you want one that goes that fast. Surely London is to congested for it to be beneficial?
I have feelings your statement has no basis in fact.
Feel what you like.
I talk from experience of what I see on a daily SE London commute of 33 miles. Are you actually in London or experienced in cycling in London? It's looking like you aren't.

The jury begs to differ.

They only spent an hour considering the case after hearing all the evidence.

That they returned unanimous not guilty verdicts in a relatively short time suggests they thought the decision was clear cut.
I was thinking of the future court case ie driving with out a license no insurance and leaving the scene

Feel what you like.
I talk from experience of what I see on a daily SE London commute of 33 miles. Are you actually in London or experienced in cycling in London? It's looking like you aren't.
Correct definitely not in London. I just don't believe that the majority of power assist bikes have been "unrestricted "

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Correct definitely not in London. I just don't believe that the majority of power assist bikes have been "unrestricted "

London is nowhere nears as congested as you like to think it is. There are many bus lanes and cycle highways that make travelling by bike far quicker then motor transport.

Read again what I wrote. I actually said the majority of Ebikes in London THAT I COME ACROSS are unrestricted and I stand by that
To back that up, feel free to have a peruse of Bike Radar's SCR forum thread. You will see I'm not alone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was thinking of the future court case ie driving with out a license no insurance and leaving the scene

There cannot be a 'future court case'.

The prosecution get one go at charging from this incident.

Three charges were laid, the jury acquitted on all three, so that's the end of it.

London is nowhere nears as congested as you like to think it is. There are many bus lanes and cycle highways that make travelling by bike far quicker then motor transport.

Read again what I wrote. I actually said the majority of Ebikes in London THAT I COME ACROSS are unrestricted and I stand by that
To back that up, feel free to have a peruse of Bike Radar's SCR forum thread. You will see I'm not alone.
I will take your word for it. I have just been a cider tasting and can't be bothered checking anything out.

Top Bottom