Ebike v/s conventional bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
The last couple of weeks I've been enjoying an Ebike.Ive had some great fun on it and climbed many steep hills that I wouldn't of enjoyed on my road bike.Ive also managed to get some longer rides in too ,without feeling it to much the next day in the old knees.Whats there not to like?
Well there are a few things that make me feel I want to get back on my road bike again and the biggest things are convenience simplicity and the challenge.
As for convenience the conventional pedal powered Specialized road bike is always ready to grab and go.No battery to recharge, or the need to clip it into the bike.
The reason for the battery not being left on the the bike is for safety reasons.I keep the bike in the house but the battery lives in the shed and gets charged in there too ,as I'm paranoid about it burning the house down (irrational thinking I know)
So to me ,it's not what I would say a grab and go type of bike.
Also when charging the battery in the evening I feel like I'm tied to hanging around the house just so that I can keep an eye on it.I don't feel comfortable leaving it doing it's thing for 4/5 hours whilst I'm out and about or even taking a couple of hours of shut eye.
The weight of it to has some draw backs.Its a hulk of a thing to get in and out of the house as mine is a split level from front to back.If I lived in a flat it would be just impractical.
What about the simplicity I mentioned earlier.
Again the ordinary pedal bike is so much easier to work on if something goes wrong whilst out on the road.A rear wheel puncture on it is as easy to sort as the front wheel.A new tube ,thorn out of the tyre and your on your way again.On the fat Ebike with a hub motor it's going to be a real faff.The wheel doesn't have a QR screwer and the thought of carrying a spanner unclipping the motor connectors and carrying a big old spare inner tube and a mini pump that would take an absolute age to inflate the tyre doesn't seem much fun to me.
There's also the electrical side of things to consider too but I probably think these issues would be few and far between.
Finally what about the challenge in mentioned.
Well Ebike has been exceptional at holding a good average speed over the miles.I would say I've been cycling slightly faster on it than my road bike (not by much)
On the flats and going down hill the road bike is really quick compared to the Ebike but on the climbs the Ebike has a much better advantage.It feels like the Ebike will travel virtually at the same speed over anything as opposed to the wildly fluctuating speeds of the road bike
I'm finding I'm missing the thrill of the faster down hill bursts and the slower slogs whilst negotiating a hill.It almost becomes boring just being stuck at more or less one continuous speed.
Out of the 55 miles I did on the Ebike today I never got out of breath once whilst if I was to of done the same on the road bike I would of certainly been catching my breath.To me I like the challenge to some extent.
However everything said, the Ebike has been fantastic and I have found myself actually enjoying my surroundings more instead of being hunched down low looking out for the massive pot holes along the road that like to destroy skinny wheel sets.
I'm still sitting on the fence as to what I like the best (and don't get me started on range anxiety 🤣🤣)

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't get range anxiety on ebike or car. You get low on electrons, you plug it in and get some more. It doesn't seem difficult to me, and thus far it never has been.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

icowden

Veteran
Very sensible. This recent article suggests that ebike charging is responsible for a number of deaths.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ion-after-11-deaths-in-uk-due-to-e-bike-fires
It does, but it also mentions that there were 149 e-bike fires in 2023. To put that into perspective there have been around 850,000 ebikes sold from 2017 to end 2023. So that's 0.017% that catch fire. The ones that tend to catch fire are bikes from poor quality sources or are bikes that have been converted or otherwise tampered with. If you have a branded bike from new and haven't crashed it significantly, you should be absolutely fine.

Hi again.
The last couple of weeks I've been enjoying an Ebike.Ive had some great fun on it and climbed many steep hills that I wouldn't of enjoyed on my road bike.Ive also managed to get some longer rides in too ,without feeling it to much the next day in the old knees.Whats there not to like?
Well there are a few things that make me feel I want to get back on my road bike again and the biggest things are convenience simplicity and the challenge.
As for convenience the conventional pedal powered Specialized road bike is always ready to grab and go.No battery to recharge, or the need to clip it into the bike.
The reason for the battery not being left on the the bike is for safety reasons.I keep the bike in the house but the battery lives in the shed and gets charged in there too ,as I'm paranoid about it burning the house down (irrational thinking I know)
So to me ,it's not what I would say a grab and go type of bike.
Also when charging the battery in the evening I feel like I'm tied to hanging around the house just so that I can keep an eye on it.I don't feel comfortable leaving it doing it's thing for 4/5 hours whilst I'm out and about or even taking a couple of hours of shut eye.
The weight of it to has some draw backs.Its a hulk of a thing to get in and out of the house as mine is a split level from front to back.If I lived in a flat it would be just impractical.
What about the simplicity I mentioned earlier.
Again the ordinary pedal bike is so much easier to work on if something goes wrong whilst out on the road.A rear wheel puncture on it is as easy to sort as the front wheel.A new tube ,thorn out of the tyre and your on your way again.On the fat Ebike with a hub motor it's going to be a real faff.The wheel doesn't have a QR screwer and the thought of carrying a spanner unclipping the motor connectors and carrying a big old spare inner tube and a mini pump that would take an absolute age to inflate the tyre doesn't seem much fun to me.
There's also the electrical side of things to consider too but I probably think these issues would be few and far between.
Finally what about the challenge in mentioned.
Well Ebike has been exceptional at holding a good average speed over the miles.I would say I've been cycling slightly faster on it than my road bike (not by much)
On the flats and going down hill the road bike is really quick compared to the Ebike but on the climbs the Ebike has a much better advantage.It feels like the Ebike will travel virtually at the same speed over anything as opposed to the wildly fluctuating speeds of the road bike
I'm finding I'm missing the thrill of the faster down hill bursts and the slower slogs whilst negotiating a hill.It almost becomes boring just being stuck at more or less one continuous speed.
Out of the 55 miles I did on the Ebike today I never got out of breath once whilst if I was to of done the same on the road bike I would of certainly been catching my breath.To me I like the challenge to some extent.
However everything said, the Ebike has been fantastic and I have found myself actually enjoying my surroundings more instead of being hunched down low looking out for the massive pot holes along the road that like to destroy skinny wheel sets.
I'm still sitting on the fence as to what I like the best (and don't get me started on range anxiety 🤣🤣)

Eighteen months ago I bought a Merida Speeder 100 for my 80th birthday and had a mid motor conversion. No problem removing either wheel.
Then I signed up for half hour weekly gym session with a personal trainer. After heaps of time on the leg press machine and many squats and lunges the ebike does not come out much and I ride my Thorn Mercury a lot more.

ExBrit

Über Member
My 15 month old granddaughter is why I have an e-bike. The trailer is too heavy for my 65 year old legs. But I prefer my road bike more.

1714355196045.jpeg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"Unexploded bombs". That is very dramatic for effect.

There were also 11 aviation fatalities in the UK in 2023. Yet I have not seen the "Exploding bomb" headline for them. I would imagine that there are far more ebikes than aircraft. The photo is of one of those notorious pxss poor e scooters and I am not at all suprised they burst into flames if left plugged in.

I suppose they also add those 2 wheel balance jobbies into the ebike section and they are well documented fire hazards.

I have had ebikes for about 8 years and have never had a problem with them getting warm when charging. But I use good quality Bosch motors.

I ride my long distances on my road bikes and sometimes do my 40km commutes on my e bike. I have the best of both worlds.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There were 29,463 killed or seriously injured by motor vehicles in 2023. There were 133,443 casualties of all types caused by motor vehicles in 2023. If a MP wants a call to actiin, I’d tackle this ahead of a few converted e bike fires in London.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd have a cargo for local stuff, but I much prefer my bicycles human-powered. Apart from any other factors the range isn't nearly enough for a lot of what I do.

Top Bottom