ECE To/From Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cross posted with the above.
The ECE guy has said (elsewhere - 30 Oct 2017) "Nominal distance used to apply to all calendar events but with the advent of mandatory route perms by gps it's no longer necessary to apply this. You don't have to submit the track of the calendar event beforehand but you do have to commit to riding the full not nominal calendar distance and then a mandatory ECE and submit a total track such that they both add up. [to more than n x 100]"
So @YukonBoy is telling you what, in practice, is acceptable, and I suspect that the ECE guy (volunteer) prefers having to deal with just one gps track rather than 2, and it manages the issue of calendar event advertised distance not being, necessarily, the shortest reasonable cycle route between the controls (advisory route) or even over n x 100! - no names, no packdrill; but I'm doing one of those in May.
you have been making a load of assumptions and not listening to what we have been telling you from the start, based on actual experience.
Well you can't beat 'actual experience'.
I'd nevertheless observe that the authoritative pages, extracts of which I've pasted below, have not yet had that 'in practice' amendment applied to them.
"Only the nominal distance of the Calendar event counts" it says.
"Extended Calendar Events (ECE) give riders the opportunity to ride out to and/or back from a Calendar event and add the extra distance to that of the calendar event. The extended portion of these rides is managed like a DIY and can use any of the above three methods. More about ECE here."
[In the subject case this one: Option 3: Validation by GPS – mandatory route]
"The regulations and process for planning ECE routes are similar to DIY Perms except the distance must scale the Calendar event up to a recognised BR distance of 200km and multiples of 100km thereafter. . . only the nominal distance of the Calendar event counts . . . towards your ECE total.
"[L]ike DIY Perms ECEs can be validated . . . as a 'mandatory route' where you submit a planned route as a GPS file in advance of the ride, and a tracklog after the ride to show the planned route was followed throughout. The Calendar event and the linked ECE are recorded separately . . . "
@Aravis - I think this topic is not really CycleChat stuff - perhaps you could read the discussion on another forum.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Aravis - I think this topic is not really CycleChat stuff - perhaps you could read the discussion on another forum.
Yep, fair comment. By posting in this thread I was really looking to test my thinking before approaching the organiser directly. It's certainly helped, though not quite as I might've thought!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
One point to bear in mind is that a BP event may well have a relaxed minimum speed, whereas a BR event cannot be under 14.3km/hr. So, if you're ECEing you will need to stick to above 14.3 average to claim your points.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In the official ECE FAQ and yes Martin has confirmed the total distance of your track log will count for min distance if you do as mandatory ECE.

Can I ride an ECE under the new AUK mandatory route regulations?
Yes; just enter the Strava / Ride with GPS / Garmin connect etc. route url in the google maps box on the entry form I don't need to confirm it's ok. As the calendar leg is not mandatory I will not check this as long as the distance for the whole extended ride meets the minimum distance.

Top Bottom