Eclipse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
According to the BBC this morning it won't be until after 9:30am so I'll be in the office by then.

I still remember the last one. I was in the bath on a day off and it went dark!

0lonerider

Veteran
i live on highground at windynook and theres a vantage point (old slag heap) at the top of my street! its clear skys at min i can see tje coast from blyth to roker sunderland now! but weather says its goin tobe foggy un morning grr

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that I might try and get on the bike and get away from the city tomorrow morning. I'm in Norfolk so not a total eclipse for us here.
It is not a total eclipse anywhere in the UK. In fact, there are only a couple of places in the world that will get a full eclipse. The far north of Scotland is going to get about 98%. I think we are supposed to get 95% here, which should still be pretty eerie!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a feeling that eye departments up and down the country are going to be inundated with patients over the next week or so!

I remember an eclipse when I was at school. One of the art teachers took some exposed 35mm film, folded it over a few times to make it darker, then we looked directly at the sun through it. My sight has survived until now, 35 years later, but I'm wondering if it develops problems in future years if I could sue the education authority.
Tomorrow I've tried to block out my diary around 9.30, intending to nip outside for a view, certainly won't be looking directly at the sun this time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I remember an eclipse when I was at school. One of the art teachers took some exposed 35mm film, folded it over a few times to make it darker, then we looked directly at the sun through it. My sight has survived until now, 35 years later, but I'm wondering if it develops problems in future years if I could sue the education authority.
Tomorrow I've tried to block out my diary around 9.30, intending to nip outside for a view, certainly won't be looking directly at the sun this time.
Thanks for the memory! There were always a few bits of black film at both ends of the roll when it came back from Kodak. They were really good for looking at the Sun.

BTW, don't try this at home, kids.

Twinks

Über Member
I remember the last one, sitting up on the moor with my dog watching my horses in the field below wondering if it would panic them. No idea what I was going to do if it did. Then it all went so quiet. Hadn't realised there was noise at all until the birds stopped singing. Still sends shivers down my spine.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The last one I saw was when I was in France, about fifteen years ago. It was a beautifully hot day. The eclipse came on and the air temperature fell by about 10 degrees C. The strangest thing was that all the birds stopped singing. Magic.

I saw it from Guernsey and was at the coast when the eclipse started. Not only did the temperature drop and the birds/gull fall silent - the wind dropped too. As the more of the sun was revealed post eclipse, the wholoe shebang went into reverse order, the birds started singing, the wind picked up, the temperature rose and the crowd roared with relief.

Top Bottom