Economy Drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
"I do something better than my wife does. I assume it's because she (doesn't have a penis/has a vagina). Hands up all the men who agree"

<sigh>
Can we just say ‘Partner’ or ‘Other driver’?
If a woman had started this thread and referred to her husband would that be OK if other women chimed-in similarly?

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My partner/co-driver accuses me of driving like a grandad. But I get better economy from both car and Motorhome.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Mum accuses me also of being slow, but I drive at or close to the speed limit when conditions permit and I don't crash into stuff like she has over the years.

I 'brimmed' all three cars on Saturday
Twenty minutes, & £110, at same local garage, no wonder chap was looking oddly at me!^_^
(wifes C-HR hybrid, daughters Adam, my Octavia)

Topped it up again, earlier this morning
I've surprised myself greatly by covering 200+ miles this week:wacko:
Then again, it has been to Batley, to work twice, ran daughter about, & had a bit of a 'road-trip' with her yesterday

If anyone knows the area, some of the back lanes around High Hoyland/Cuttlehurst/Denby Dale/Emley

206.1 miles
15.00 litres
to brim (same visible level in filler neck, as last Saturday)
= 3.330... gallons

An average figure of 61.89 MPG

Not bad for a day-to-day figure, with no stop-start
Granted, yes it is (at its age) electronically controlled injection, & remapped

Drago

Legendary Member
Good going indeed. The live fuel computer on the Smart is a bit pants, not to mention difficult to see. Therefore, I've fitted a boost gauge as an economy aid. Nice to see the needle off boost and in the vacuum as much as possible as the motor sucks against a closed throttle plate. Be interesting to see how much fuel economy gain I can get as a result.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am searching like a madman for the right Octavia at trade money, it is not happening I can see myself having to pay retail prices and that will hurt.

gbb

Legendary Member
People often think they are driving economically because they change up as soon as the car can pull a higher gear. All they are doing is keeping the RPM below the sweet spot at which the engine is running at it's most efficient, not only murdering fuel economy but putting a strain on the main engine components too.

The occasional spell of redlining through the gears is good for the engine too, helping it to clear it's throat, so to speak.
This is so true. I drive as much as is reasonable to my live consumption readout. 30mph in 5th, just ambling along with the traffic, the car can cope...but look at the readout, I'm perhaps doing 40mpg. Drop to 3rd, let the readout settle and I could be doing 50/60/70 mpg.

Drago

Legendary Member
Much speculation in today's news that fuel duty may rise. I'm suddenly feeling rather smug.

Let hope for another 40 or 50p a litre, get some of these unnecessary cars off the road.

(partial TMN to TMN)
Gender has naff all to do with this
:wacko: I didn't bring gender into this, you did.
Does anyone else have this gender divide?
If a woman had started this thread and referred to her husband would that be OK if other women chimed-in similarly?
I was only referring to the OP that was requesting responses that related to gender.

And if a woman did the same? Decided to see if she could accumulate data to create a brand new sexist stereotype about men? On CycleChat? No, I wouldn't have responded the same, but only because she'd have been shouted down by men who have suddenly realised how corrosive sexism is, and the thread locked before I even saw it.

alicat

Legendary Member
When my car (just driven by me) is getting to empty, the mileage to empty goes down faster than when previously. Then the next time I start it up, all the extra miles have been added back on. So the fuel computer can play tricks at times.

Top Bottom