Economy Drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
People often think they are driving economically because they change up as soon as the car can pull a higher gear. All they are doing is keeping the RPM below the sweet spot at which the engine is running at it's most efficient, not only murdering fuel economy but putting a strain on the main engine components too.

The occasional spell of redlining through the gears is good for the engine too, helping it to clear it's throat, so to speak.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Agreed, the quoted '510' is the figure on starting up again

True!!

12 gallons/55 litres, I think?

According to the handbook the tank on mine holds 9.9 imperial gallons, which is 45 litres. That clearly doesn't include the filler pipe as I've put nearly 50-litres in when filling it. ^_^ That will do me for two and a bit weeks / 600 miles in normal use, with a 90-odd miles showing in reserve.

Do you ever double check the displayed figures with real maths? According to Honest John, VW Group cars can have fuel computers as much as 11% optimistic, the average being 5 or 6% optimistic.

The computer on the C3 is accurate enough - I've worked it out with real maths often enough to know it's right and don't bother anymore. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Interestingly, the Missususus' old 207, a C3 in all but body, was a few percent out. I don't even bother looking at Smarts fuel computer, but as of the last fill up was 67.7, up from 62.4, so I'm slowly getting the measure of it. No need to resort to durty diseasel to get good numbers.

On top of that, I simply try to avoid using the car at all, the best economy measure of all. If it weren't for SAR callouts I'd gleefully manage without one at all. Still, if you have to have a car then squeezing out every last MPG is a good thing indeed.

fted33

I have no idea what i am doing wrong. Its a 3 litre V6 diesel.
D236397E-0D29-46BE-B04B-3BEB3C7D82BF.jpeg

Jody

Stubborn git
The MPG figure is based on short and long term averages stored in the ECU. Your wife will have been less frugal, driving on boost and using the torque of that 1.6td when driving, reducing the average so the ECU reckons she would get less distance on that amount of fuel. Reset the MPG when you both drive and see what you average.

As @Drago points out the only way to tell is by filling to the brim and doing some maths.

The MPG figure is based on short and long term averages stored in the ECU. Your wife will have been less frugal, driving on boost and using the torque of that 1.6td when driving, reducing the average so the ECU reckons she would get less distance on that amount of fuel. Reset the MPG when you both drive and see what you average.

@Jody, That's why I refer to it as Notional

As @Drago points out the only way to tell is by filling to the brim and doing some maths.
I do at times, if the trip doesn't get reset for any reason
Now that Joanne has the C-HR, there's less reason for her to use my Octavia

In case, on the very odd chance, that someone's not certain
1. 'Brim the tank'
2. Zero the trip
3. 'Rebrim' at whatever mileage
4. Divide litres by 4.545. to get a real figure
5. Divide mileage by gallons
6. See your real world MPG figure

People often think they are driving economically because they change up as soon as the car can pull a higher gear. All they are doing is keeping the RPM below the sweet spot at which the engine is running at it's most efficient, not only murdering fuel economy but putting a strain on the main engine components too.

The occasional spell of redlining through the gears is good for the engine too, helping it to clear it's throat, so to speak.
True
And helps to burn off any deposits in a DPF

"I do something better than my wife does. I assume it's because she (doesn't have a penis/has a vagina). Hands up all the men who agree"

<sigh>
Gender has naff all to do with this

I know women who can get 20-25% more MPG than hubbies/partners/wives

And visa-versa

Drago

Legendary Member
On the rare long journeys we do Mrs D and I play the MPG challenge. One drives out, the other drives back, and we see who can get the best MPG across the journey. Sure, it's flawed, takes no account of elevation gain, other traffic etc, but it encourages thoughtful driving and minimises pollution and the consumption of a finite resource. Mrs D is pretty much as good as I am and were about evens after all these years. She's also a trained police advanced, pursuit, response and tactical driver, so ability wise would kick the average male driver in the cojones.

Far too many male drivers think they're better than they are, and that's why they're mainly the ones doing the slaughtering on the road.

Mrs D is pretty much as good as I am and were about evens after all these years. She's also a trained police advanced, pursuit, response and tactical driver, so ability wise would kick the average male driver in the cojones.

Far too many male drivers think they're better than they are, and that's why they're mainly the ones doing the slaughtering on the road.
I know what you mean, in both aspects

My working life (well, the past 20 years) has been at a local Hospital, with a very busy A&E department
Most of the RTCs that we see, invariably, the driver involved is male (be it the cause, or victim)
We had a young lad work with us (maybe 22??), he had... no idea how... a Vauxhall Astra VXR(??) - the present shape
(cheap insurance deal/free from dealer/insured as lower spec???? - I have no idea)

He was on a local bypass that has a roundabout at one point, that requires a definite lift-off/brake/gear-change/re-position of the vehicle

Like many, he's of the 'PlayStation generation', & (presumably) believed that practice (along with passing his test) made him great

He clipped a kerb on approach, unsettled the vehicle, hit a lamp-post, which stopped the vehicle
It dropped, caber like, onto the car

Thankfully for him, he had no passengers, as it fell onto the passenger side, crushing the roof
He left employment soon after, I have heard that he now thinks he's invincible' & an even better driver:banghead:
I expect to read the announcement in the obituaries of the local paper soon

Going back to where I work, & what I see
My wife often tells me that I drive too slow, fail to go for a gap in the traffic flow (from a junction, etc..)
I've seen the results, & talked to far too many of the areas Traffic Officers over the years to change
Plus the Paramedics, & 'Trumpton', who've had to turn cars into convertibles. etc..

@Drago I salute your lady wife & yourself

Drago

Legendary Member
Why thank you sir. As a born again environmentalist im really knto fuel economy at the moment.

And before anyone asks, i dont think im a brilliant driver. I'm trained better than average, but in terms of ability I'm no better. Where I differ is I think about what I'm doing, and I relentlessly practice my drills. Well, not even relentlessly, it's simply second nature after more than 2 decades.

I get tired like anyone else, my reactions are slowing as I age and I've noticed this and I'm honest about it to myself, i still put my trousers on one leg at a time, but I take the time to think, which is a skill many drivers simply don't possess. I sincerely hope so e of these Muppets don't conduct the rest of their lives as they do their driving...

But getting back to fuel economy Mr T, I'm really into it. It minimises environmental damage, and it's pursuit improves us as drivers.

Gary E

Veteran
I work exactly 44 miles from home so my daily commute is 88 miles with a weekly distance of 440 miles.

If I brim my tank at the weekend (from a petrol station 1 mile from the house) and I drive economically I can just manage 2 weeks of commuting (881 miles). This has almost become an obsession - I'll actually walk, cycle or scrounge a lift from the wife during the middle weekend simply so that I don't use up any fuel :wacko:

It's quite sad really; As a young man I would choose a car based entirely on it's looks and top speed, I now don't care about those things at all and instead look for fuel economy and boot space :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I recently bought a 0.9L 3 cyl. turbo petrol Dacia Sandero. Cheap as chips but a wolf in sheep's clothing. It can really shift, when you want it to. However, I tend to drive it like I ride my bike - using the brakes as little as necessary. It has a 50L fuel tank and I reckon a range of 800 miles.
Dacia you say? Good man :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
The same engines used in the Smart Fortwo and For four, and in up to 125bhp tune in the various Brabus versions. However, Smart are going electric only for 2019, the first established manufacturer to do so.

Top Bottom