Economy Drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I filled my car up yesterday morning (Octavia 1.6Tdi estate)
The garage, I used, is less than a mile from home

On arrival, it showed, as it normally does; '540 miles' as a range (nominal/arbitrary figures, I know)

I went off, to the 'Darrington 5Mile Road-Run' in the Panda, Joanne took the Octavia into Wakefield

As far as I know, she only went into the City-centre, dropped daughter off for a music exam, at a private School (QuEGS) then, took her to the Cathedral, to sing at a wedding.
Stayed in Wakefield, met her at the Cathedral, then drove home

This morning, I took daughter to Choir, at Cathedral, & saw the 'range' as I flicked through to check the temperature
'475 miles'
Odd:huh:, given that she'd only covered about 30 miles

However................ now here's the clever bit............... I drove her there, & back home
Both of us then collected her, drove to my parents, & returned home (a total of 25 miles, or less)

On arrival back home, the range had gone up to '550 miles'
How good is that!!!
I can drive so economically, that I seemingly put diesel back in the tank

Does anyone else have this gender divide?

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Used to have a 3ltr auto Vauxhall Senator with trip computer and it would drive my wife nuts how I would accelerate away from the lights quicker than her and drive at higher speeds but still get better (reported) fuel economy. She just couldn't get her head around how I would anticipate the traffic flow and hold-ups so I could coast more, brake less and as a result accelerate much less. This is how to drive economically.

The electric car maximum range changes with the weather, currently (heh!) 75 miles but was as low as 55 when it was particularly cold over winter.
Electrons don't slosh about in a fuel tank like petrol/diesel does and is a lot easier to measure and give a range accurately. We did have some'range anxiety' at first, but now if it says theres 10 miles in the tank and we've got a round trip of 5 we wouldn't worry about it.
Even normal/eco mode and 'spirited' driving don't seem to make much difference. And there is something quite satisfying about leaving Corsa Boy at the lights and being silent at the same time.

gbb

Legendary Member
I drive (for the most part) by the current mpg display on my cars computer. It's surprising (and yet it's not)how often say 50mph can be relatively uneconomical in my car, go to 60 or 70 and gives better economy...barring the fact you used more fuel getting there. Monitoring consumption continually, adjusting speed and gear to try to find the best economy is a normal for me....Astra J petrols are not very economical so I'm more inclined to work harder to achieve the best I can.

As I Like Skol says, anticipation and reading traffic is hugely important, less accelerating, less braking, less fuel used. I hadn't changed a set of pads on any of my cars since.....errrrr, I'm struggling to remember which car, an OpelAscona I had circa 1985 roughly I think...that's how little I use the brakes.

Top Bottom