"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
It's ticking over ... slowly. Now 98. 100 is reachable. After that it starts to get silly

Your imperial Eddington Number is 98.
You need to do 3 ride(s) of at least 99 to increase it to 99.
You need to do 4 ride(s) of at least 100 to increase it to 100.
You need to do 15 ride(s) of at least 101 to increase it to 101.
You need to do 74 ride(s) of at least 105 to increase it to 105.

That indicates you have done a lot of rides between 100 and 105 miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got some bad news for users of https://cyclingrelated.uk/eddington/

It has a bug: It rounds ride lengths to the nearest mile, rather than truncating them, which makes it a bit optimistic.

According to it my 96th, 97th and 98th longest rides are 100, 98, 98 miles and my E number is 98.

But in reality they are 99.64, 97.74, 97.56. So my E is really only 97.

And ... yikes, I've lost a century! One of my rides was 600m short! Yikes! Fortunately the ride in question ended at a railway station (it was FNRttC Felpham in 2014 and I rode back to Horsham and got the train home). So I rode home from the station which is about a mile. So I'm OK there. Phew.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
I've got some bad news for users of https://cyclingrelated.uk/eddington/

It has a bug: It rounds ride lengths to the nearest mile, rather than truncating them, which makes it a bit optimistic.

According to it my 96th, 97th and 98th longest rides are 100, 98, 98 miles and my E number is 98.

But in reality they are 99.64, 97.74, 97.56. So my E is really only 97.

And ... yikes, I've lost a century! One of my rides was 600m short! Yikes! Fortunately the ride in question ended at a railway station (it was FNRttC Felpham in 2014 and I rode back to Horsham and got the train home). So I rode home from the station which is about a mile. So I'm OK there. Phew.

It gives me the same number as https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-Strava-Eddington-Number

Which is 31 for me, with 5 rides of 32 miles+ to get it up to 32.

That sit may also be rounding up though. It doesn't show the list of rides making up the count.

Incidentally, the cyclingrelateduk one will only connect to ridewithgGPS for me, it wouldn't show username & password boxes for Strava. But both have the same list of rides as far as I can tell.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It gives me the same number as https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-Strava-Eddington-Number

Which is 31 for me, with 5 rides of 32 miles+ to get it up to 32.

That sit may also be rounding up though. It doesn't show the list of rides making up the count.

Incidentally, the cyclingrelateduk one will only connect to ridewithgGPS for me, it wouldn't show username & password boxes for Strava. But both have the same list of rides as far as I can tell.

I think the cyclingrelated bug will only ever give you an Eddington of one more than it should be, and that will only happen if a critical ride has been rounded up. In my case I got two rides rounded up to 98 when they should have been 97. But if they had been a wee bit shorter then cyclingrelated would have rounded them down to 97 and it would have given me the correct answer.

It's all a bit brain-bending.

I found this when I was writing my own code to use the RWGPS API to calculate E in other fun units like Furlongs and Swedish Miles. My code doesn't yet tell me how many rides I need for higher numbers but when I've done that I'll abandon the cyclingrelated one.

btw I only ever use cyclingrelated with RWGPS so I don't know about the Strava interface business

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I think the cyclingrelated bug will only ever give you an Eddington of one more than it should be, and that will only happen if a critical ride has been rounded up. In my case I got two rides rounded up to 98 when they should have been 97. But if they had been a wee bit shorter then cyclingrelated would have rounded them down to 97 and it would have given me the correct answer.

It's all a bit brain-bending.

I found this when I was writing my own code to use the RWGPS API to calculate E in other fun units like Furlongs and Swedish Miles. My code doesn't yet tell me how many rides I need for higher numbers but when I've done that I'll abandon the cyclingrelated one.

btw I only ever use cyclingrelated with RWGPS so I don't know about the Strava interface business

My Excel sheet does the bit in bold

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know there's only really one proper Eddington number - the one in miles. But as I'm soon going to be stuck on that I've been investigating other variants. They need to be interesting with plenty of room for improvement.

My Kilometres one is slowly ticking over but since it passed 100 it's not very interesting. Furlongs? I've done 275 x 275 furlong (about 35 miles) rides. Meh. I had a look into climbing variants. The ones in feet and metres are too boring. You need a very large number of rides.

But the best one I found was a climbing one, in 10m increments. I've done 135 1,350m rides. And I need another 14 x 1,400m rides to get it to 140 and 44 x 1,500m rides for 150. I think I'm going to keep an eye on that one.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I know there's only really one proper Eddington number - the one in miles. But as I'm soon going to be stuck on that I've been investigating other variants. They need to be interesting with plenty of room for improvement.

My Kilometres one is slowly ticking over but since it passed 100 it's not very interesting. Furlongs? I've done 275 x 275 furlong (about 35 miles) rides. Meh. I had a look into climbing variants. The ones in feet and metres are too boring. You need a very large number of rides.

But the best one I found was a climbing one, in 10m increments. I've done 135 1,350m rides. And I need another 14 x 1,400m rides to get it to 140 and 44 x 1,500m rides for 150. I think I'm going to keep an eye on that one.

My kilometre one is 167.

Veloviewer has a climbing one, it divides by 20, I'm on 1,440 on that one.

Veloviewer also has a time based one, in minutes. I'm on 340 on that one

Furlongs - 1,778 (I based that on 35 miles)

I first stumbled into this thread many years ago, intrigued. Great idea, I thought, must have a go at that.

Since that time I have not felt I had anything to add to thread, apart from being in awe of all who reach ever higher numbers and saying 'Chapeau'.

At the end of 2019 my Eddington Number (E#) was 50, having jumped by 6 in the previous 2 years. Easy, I thought, I can reach my E# of 60 within another 2 years. For the next three years my E# has only increased by 2 each year and now stands at 56. And yet in 2020 I made 7 rides of more than 52, in 2021 4 rides more than 54 and last year did 5 more than 56. I am vaguely perplexed, yet I will persist.

I will make 60, I'm just not sure when!

Top Bottom