"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Ah, I didn't know there was a cyclechat club.
I just joined it to check it out.
Seems I am top of the 'Time' leaderboard for 2023 with my 546 hours in the saddle, but there are only 29 others in the list.
2nd place is on 326 hours.

I am now also displaced from the elevation standings in the club! 😄

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wow! So does mine! What are the chances, eh?

It's a funny old world

I'm going all out to double it tomorrow.

bluenotebob

Veteran
FWIW here’s my plan for 2024:

My current E number (metric) is 74 (76 rides done over 74km).

I need another 22 rides over 80km to get the E up to 80 – target date to achieve this is Xmas Day 2025 (and it would make a pleasant 73rd birthday present).

In 2024 I’ll try and do at least 11 rides over 80km (8 have been planned so far).

Along the way:

I need to do 5 more rides over 75km to get the E up to 75.

I need to do 9 more rides over 76km to get the E up to 76.

I need to do 13 more rides over 77km to get the E up to 77.

I’ve set a Lunacy Distance Target for 2024 of 75km – but I want/hope/expect that I’ll do at least 13 rides of 77km or over (which I managed in 2023).

I have no doubt that some of my rides this year will come in at around 72/73km – so I’ll go out again in the evening on one of my MTBs and do another 5km or so to get the overall Daily Distance above the minimum threshold.

I’ll use this thread to report any interim successes.

Anyone else want to share their Eddington Number improvement plans for this year?

Norry1

Legendary Member

I need another 22 rides over 80km to get the E up to 80 – target date to achieve this is Xmas Day 2025 (and it would make a pleasant 73rd birthday present).

In 2024 I’ll try and do at least 11 rides over 80km (8 have been planned so far).

Along the way:

I’ve set a Lunacy Distance Target for 2024 of 75km – but I want/hope/expect that I’ll do at least 13 rides of 77km or over (which I managed in 2023).

I have no doubt that some of my rides this year will come in at around 72/73km – so I’ll go out again in the evening on one of my MTBs and do another 5km or so to get the overall Daily Distance above the minimum threshold.

Anyone else want to share their Eddington Number improvement plans for this year?

I've not looked at my Metric Eddington before, so I've just had a look.

I'm on 103km - and I reckon I'll only get to 105km as I have to do 8 rides at 105km to get there (and 13 rides at 106km).

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
My Imperial Eddington is 67. I need 5 rides of 70 miles or more to raise it to 70, I think that's a do-able target for this year. Not sure what a sensible 2024 only Eddington target is , I'm tending to ride more frequently but shorter distances. So 35 rides over 35 miles is a bit of a guess!
I'll update progress at the end of each month.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

Along the way:

My targets (of which there are many):
👉🏼 increase Lifetime Eddington from 53 to 57 (12 rides of 57 miles needed)
👉🏼 increase Lifetime Metric Eddington from 74 km to 81 km (13 rides of 81 km needed)
👉🏼 increase Climbing Eddington to 67 (1340 m). 13 rides of 1340 m elevation
👉🏼 Annual Eddington of 32 would beat last year (but think I will struggle with this)

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Just over 3 years since I became a lockdown Cyclist with a nice bike and a Strava account.

Eddington No is now 50 (Imperial of course!) Quietly pleased as 3.5 years ago the idea of cycling 50 miles once, would have seemed a bit of a stretch.
The monthly challenge has been a great motivator.

Now the wrong side of 65, I'll switch my attention to getting a metric total of 80.
Need 30 more 80km+ rides. Hopefullly some time in 2025. First one this Saturday.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm declaring at 63 .... which also happens to be my age.

An admirable achievement @Donger – well done!

I thought your decision to retire was a bit surprising .. I was older than you are now when I started cycling again (I was 64 – and I’m now 71).
But it did get me thinking … and I’ve set a target date of Xmas 2027 (when I’ll be 75) to achieve two things:

A total of 100,000km cycled since I January 2017 – I’m currently around 62,400km – and based on an average distance of 29km per day this year – and reducing by 1km in each successive year – I shall get there on 4 November 2027 (according to Mr Excel, anyway).

An Eddington Metric number of 84 – assuming I do 42 more rides over 84km between now and Xmas 2027..…and an Eddington Imperial number of 56 if I can make 27 of those 42 rides over 90.5km.

Well, that’s the plan – and (as they say) any plan is better than no plan.

Someone wrote on the forum recently that “strength and endurance slipped away quite quickly after passing the age of 70”. But I’m still going strong – and fingers crossed that’ll continue for (at least) another 3 or 4 years.

I don’t plan on retiring from cycling at the age of 75 – but I might just slow down a bit...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
An admirable achievement @Donger – well done!

I thought your decision to retire was a bit surprising .. I was older than you are now when I started cycling again (I was 64 – and I’m now 71).
But it did get me thinking … and I’ve set a target date of Xmas 2027 (when I’ll be 75) to achieve two things:

A total of 100,000km cycled since I January 2017 – I’m currently around 62,400km – and based on an average distance of 29km per day this year – and reducing by 1km in each successive year – I shall get there on 4 November 2027 (according to Mr Excel, anyway).

An Eddington Metric number of 84 – assuming I do 42 more rides over 84km between now and Xmas 2027..…and an Eddington Imperial number of 56 if I can make 27 of those 42 rides over 90.5km.

Well, that’s the plan – and (as they say) any plan is better than no plan.

Someone wrote on the forum recently that “strength and endurance slipped away quite quickly after passing the age of 70”. But I’m still going strong – and fingers crossed that’ll continue for (at least) another 3 or 4 years.

I don’t plan on retiring from cycling at the age of 75 – but I might just slow down a bit...

I always knew the day would come when I would have to ease back a bit. I'll still be doing loads of cycling, but just won't bust a gut to aim for a 100km ride just for the sake of it. I'll admit I haven't been quite the same since I caught covid, but I am getting stronger all the time. It's just that, at 6 foot 6 and 22 stone, I know I was never really built for cycling, and time in the saddle has always been my worst enemy. From now on I'm aiming for quality of rides over quantity or length, and I'll continue (like last year) to seek out new rides in places I've never ridden before. The thought of 7 more 100km rides doesn't appeal. Good luck to all of you who just keep going.

Edit: That 7 more rides would have been to bring up a Metric Eddington of 100. Just doing the Metric Century a Month Challenge for 5 years will bring up an imperial number of 62 quite easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom