"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I need a ruling please.

I've now got myself and eBike. I only turn the power on when I'm struggling on a hill and only to the smallest assistance level. I'm able (if the app works) to account for distance covered by self propulsion and also assisted distance. As far as the Eddington is concerned I'm typically using self propulsion distance (which is mostly the whole distance of the ride - often it's 2 miles assisted in total over 40 miles ridden for example). So would it be very naughty of me to calculate Eddington numbers based on the total distance rather than the self propelled distance? Or are eBikes totally banned anyway?

I agree with @13 rider, miles on a bike is what matters, if electrical assistance is needed, so be it, they are still miles on two wheels in the fresh air.

13 rider

Guru
Just had a play on velo viewer my 2023 Eddington was 37 miles

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
would it be very naughty of me to calculate Eddington numbers based on the total distance rather than the self propelled distance? Or are eBikes totally banned anyway?
Short answer: Go right ahead.

Long answer: Its just a statistic. I don't think there are any "rules" as such, apart from the definition of what E number is and how it's calculated.

There is certainly no group or organisation who have the right to make up rules (unlike, say, Everesting). Sir Arthur Eddington died in 1944

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I need a ruling please.

I've now got myself and eBike. I only turn the power on when I'm struggling on a hill and only to the smallest assistance level. I'm able (if the app works) to account for distance covered by self propulsion and also assisted distance. As far as the Eddington is concerned I'm typically using self propulsion distance (which is mostly the whole distance of the ride - often it's 2 miles assisted in total over 40 miles ridden for example). So would it be very naughty of me to calculate Eddington numbers based on the total distance rather than the self propelled distance? Or are eBikes totally banned anyway?

You've still ridden the distance so count it, is my view

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I know not everyone signs up to Veloviewer but was pleasantly surprised to find myself top of the annual "Eddington Elevation" chart for last year; 760m (38). I was only 16th for distance (32 miles). Lots of hills nearby that I go up slowly

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know not everyone signs up to Veloviewer but was pleasantly surprised to find myself top of the annual "Eddington Elevation" chart for last year; 760m (38). I was only 16th for distance (32 miles). Lots of hills nearby that I go up slowly

How do they work out "Eddington Elevation"?

I'm assuming haven't done 760 x 760m rides (that would indeed be impressive!).

The fact that you have 38 in parentheses after makes me think they use a 20m increment. 760m is 38 x 20m and you've done 38 rides, right?

rualexander

Legendary Member

Top?
As far as I can see top is held by a Robert Williams on 2140m (107).
I managed 800m (40), which has me in 1,369th position

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

How do they work out "Eddington Elevation"?

I'm assuming haven't done 760 x 760m rides (that would indeed be impressive!).

The fact that you have 38 in parentheses after makes me think they use a 20m increment. 760m is 38 x 20m and you've done 38 rides, right?

Yes, think they divide it by 20

UphillSlowly

Top?

I was looking at the Cyclechat club only. Apologies for confusion. I don't subscribe to Strava so no idea where I am in the wider scheme of things

rualexander

Legendary Member
Top?

I was looking at the Cyclechat club only. Apologies for confusion. I don't subscribe to Strava so no idea where I am in the wider scheme of things

Ah, I didn't know there was a cyclechat club.
I just joined it to check it out.
Seems I am top of the 'Time' leaderboard for 2023 with my 546 hours in the saddle, but there are only 29 others in the list.
2nd place is on 326 hours.

Top Bottom