"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does this mean that you have done 35 rides of between 107 and 107.99 miles, or am I getting confused in my (relative) dotage ?

Andrew

You are getting confused. Of the 107 he has done, 73 (108-35) have been 108 miles or over.

Wot Super Super said!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
But doesn't that mean that the remaining 35 must have been exactly 107-107.99 ? If they were less than 107 then they wouldn't count ?

I am not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand

Apologies, you are nearly right. Since 73 have been over 108, 34 must have been 107-107.99, but they mat not necessarily be all in one ride as the Eddington number is total mileage in a day.

For example I might do a one way ride to a train station - say 103 miles, then do another 3 miles from getting off the train to getting home, would give me 106 for the Eddington calculation, not 103.

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Apologies, you are nearly right. Since 73 have been over 108, 34 must have been 107-107.99, but they mat not necessarily be all in one ride as the Eddington number is total mileage in a day.

For example I might do a one way ride to a train station - say 103 miles, then do another 3 miles from getting off the train to getting home, would give me 106 for the Eddington calculation, not 103.

Thanks, I think I get it now :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It shows how hilly it is round here, my Eddington ride number just went up to 35 today - which still leaves me in the bottom 24%, but my climbing number is 597 (feet), which puts me in the top 11% for that. And it will go over 600 in the next week or two, I only need 3 rides over 600 feet for that.

Is your climbing one from Veloviewer?

Alex321

Veteran
Is your climbing one from Veloviewer?

No, I haven't linked Veloviewer. Both numbers come from Strava. And the Strava numbers come from my Wahoo Elemnt Roam computer.

I don't have a paid Veloviewer subscription, so can only see 25 rides (and they don't even change, dropping old rides and adding new).

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
It shows how hilly it is round here, my Eddington ride number just went up to 35 today - which still leaves me in the bottom 24%, but my climbing number is 597 (feet), which puts me in the top 11% for that. And it will go over 600 in the next week or two, I only need 3 rides over 600 feet for that.

Do you need a Strava subscription to see how your Eddington number for climbing ranks?

bluenotebob

Veteran
Anyone interested in an Annual Eddington Number Improvement Challenge?

Competing against yourself (obviously) with a starting position of your Eddington Number at 1st January 2024 - and a target/object Number for 31st December.

@UphillSlowly and I have been discussing this in the '2024 HMCAM chatzone' thread.... I think it would be better discussed here.

I'm curious as to whether there's any appetite for this as a challenge.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Competing against yourself (obviously) with a starting position of your Eddington Number at 1st January 2024 - and a target/object Number for 31st December.

@UphillSlowly and I have been discussing this in the '2024 HMCAM chatzone' thread.... I think it would be better discussed here.

Sadly, not from me. I need fifteen 101+ mile rides to increase my Eddington number by .... one :sad:

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

Whether there is a new thread or not I think I am going to try a few Eddington challenges, though in reality they would overlap with Lunacy challenges and monthly challenges. For example I could set myself a Lunacy Challenge of 13 x81 Km, and by cunning fluke I would increase my Eddington number to 81 at the same time. But an Eddington challenge (or two or three) may suit those who want to go way beyond a lunacy challenge, or those who want a smaller challenge?

Have found a signature "E" to use...

1703623301366.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

As Muttleypants pointed out, the higher your current number is, the harder it is to increase it.

Alternatively the challenge could be your Eddington number for just the year 2024.

Top Bottom