"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
As Muttleypants pointed out, the higher your current number is, the harder it is to increase it.

Alternatively the challenge could be your Eddington number for just the year 2024.

That makes more sense, though with my commuting, both the last two years have come out at 30. Even though my overall is only 35 I've done 154 days of 30+, but most of that is because I commute (usually two days a week) 15 miles each way.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
As Muttleypants pointed out, the higher your current number is, the harder it is to increase it.

Alternatively the challenge could be your Eddington number for just the year 2024.

The swinney website calculates that. Suspect you could apply a filter to Veloviewer as well?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone interested in an Annual Eddington Number Improvement Challenge?

Competing against yourself (obviously) with a starting position of your Eddington Number at 1st January 2024 - and a target/object Number for 31st December.

@UphillSlowly and I have been discussing this in the '2024 HMCAM chatzone' thread.... I think it would be better discussed here.

I'm curious as to whether there's any appetite for this as a challenge.

As someone who is chasing Eddingtons. The challenge is not for me. The Imperial century a month challenge is a big enough challenge in itself at times, without the extra challenge on top of increasing Eddingtons.

bluenotebob

Veteran

Could you please explain that in more detail?

How do you calculate your Eddington Number for a single year?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't use Strava so all my ride data is in Excel spreads. It's taken me most of the last 24 hours to establish my current Eddington Number. I don't begrudge the time spent as it has given a sharper focus to my 2024 Lunacy Distance target and made me adjust that slightly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I guess it would just be the Eddington algorithm applied to just one year's rides. So if you go out every weekend for a 52 mile ride, then your E for the year will be 52 (52 rides of 52 miles). If you have a 12 miles/day commute and do loads of time times your E will be 12.

Given that most people will only get longer distances in at the weekends, and probably not all weekends at that it will probably come out as the total number of weekends that you've ridden on. Say you manage to do big rides on 25 weekends in the year, then you'll get an E of 25, even if you've been commuting every single working day your commute will probably be less than 25 so won't contribute.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I guess it would just be the Eddington algorithm applied to just one year's rides. So if you go out every weekend for a 52 mile ride, then your E for the year will be 52 (52 rides of 52 miles). If you have a 12 miles/day commute and do loads of time times your E will be 12.

Thanks for the explanation.

I ride almost every day of the year - and often more than once a day (804 rides so far this year).

Total distance ridden is 11, 536km which - divided by 360 (total elapsed days so far) - gives an average distance per day of just over 32km.

So ... my E for 2023 is 32? .. or would it be dragged down by all the other 10/15/20 km rides that I did?

Either way, I don't think it's of interest to me as a challenge for 2024. I think I'll just concentrate on the Lunacy Distance challenge which, if I've calculated correctly, should help push my 'overall' Eddington Number up by 2 or 3 kilometres.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Total distance ridden is 11, 536km which - divided by 360 (total elapsed days so far) - gives an average distance per day of just over 32km.

So ... my E for 2023 is 32? .. or would it be dragged down by all the other 10/15/20 km rides that I did?
You're right, it would depend on your ride distribution.

If you did 50x100km rides and 300x20km rides that would give you an E of 50.

If you did 70x70km rides and 290x21km rides you'd have an E of 70.

If you did 350 31km rides you'd have an E of 31 km

All of those add up to roughly 11,000 km.

The maximum possible for 11,536km would be 107. But you'd have to fill in the other 258 days with tiddly rides of 300m.

It's a bit mind bending and not entirely intuitive.

And would be totally different if you did it in miles. (Max possible would be 82)

* Edit: For "rides" above read "days"

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's the total amount of miles ridden in a single day.
For example, if you ride a total of 10 miles a day on 10 different days then your E number is 10. If you ride a total of 11 miles on a single day on 11 different days then your E number will be 11, and so forth. (My E number is 117, so I have ridden 117 miles on 117 different days)
It doesn't matter how many rides you do on a day, it's the days total amount.
I hope that makes sense.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Could you please explain that in more detail?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't use Strava so all my ride data is in Excel spreads. It's taken me most of the last 24 hours to establish my current Eddington Number. I don't begrudge the time spent as it has given a sharper focus to my 2024 Lunacy Distance target and made me adjust that slightly.

Not ignoring you, @Dogtrousers explained it perfectly

Alex321

Veteran

Given that most people will only get longer distances in at the weekends, and probably not all weekends at that it will probably come out as the total number of weekends that you've ridden on. Say you manage to do big rides on 25 weekends in the year, then you'll get an E of 25, even if you've been commuting every single working day your commute will probably be less than 25 so won't contribute.

Some of us have long enough commutes that they do end up being the annual number. Remember it is distance by day rather than by ride, so a commute of 15 miles each way (mine) will end up giving you an annual E number of 30 unless you manage 30+ rides further than that.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I need a ruling please.

I've now got myself and eBike. I only turn the power on when I'm struggling on a hill and only to the smallest assistance level. I'm able (if the app works) to account for distance covered by self propulsion and also assisted distance. As far as the Eddington is concerned I'm typically using self propulsion distance (which is mostly the whole distance of the ride - often it's 2 miles assisted in total over 40 miles ridden for example). So would it be very naughty of me to calculate Eddington numbers based on the total distance rather than the self propelled distance? Or are eBikes totally banned anyway?

13 rider

Guru
I need a ruling please.

I've now got myself and eBike. I only turn the power on when I'm struggling on a hill and only to the smallest assistance level. I'm able (if the app works) to account for distance covered by self propulsion and also assisted distance. As far as the Eddington is concerned I'm typically using self propulsion distance (which is mostly the whole distance of the ride - often it's 2 miles assisted in total over 40 miles ridden for example). So would it be very naughty of me to calculate Eddington numbers based on the total distance rather than the self propelled distance? Or are eBikes totally banned anyway?
For me it's just about riding a bike so I've no issue with ebikes .If they get you out riding when perhaps you wouldn't then all good . At the end of the day your only improving your Eddington number if your happy with the ebike then just crack on and don't worry what other people think

Top Bottom