Eddy Merckx Strada OS finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Team Telekom 1995 colours, components mostly DA of various ages. Only half a pound lighter than Olaf Ludwig's team Titane, although his was a slightly larger frame (60.5cm, mine is 59cm and Columbus Brain Custom steel).

Argos did the paint. Olaf's has the Eddy Merckx name applied using spray masks but mine is done with decals.

Attachments

• 20210224_154515.jpg
    20210224_154515.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 72
  • eddy_merckx_titane_team_telekom_olaf_ludwig_1995(4).jpg
    eddy_merckx_titane_team_telekom_olaf_ludwig_1995(4).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 70

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very nice indeed.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What a beauty, could I ask what a paint job like that costs from Argos?
Did Argos source the decals?
I haven't got over it yet but it started with a 6. However, about £100 of that was to put a longer steerer onto the fork and to thread it down (amazingly, I found a new SLX steerer, correct for the fork, but it was so long that all its factory threads had to be cut off).

I got the decals from eBay. They're a much better match than the H. Lloyd Merckx decals (whose "Made In Belgium" decal is nothing like mine was)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I rather like that

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I haven't got over it yet but it started with a 6. However, about £100 of that was to put a longer steerer onto the fork and to thread it down (amazingly, I found a new SLX steerer, correct for the fork, but it was so long that all its factory threads had to be cut off).

I got the decals from eBay. They're a much better match than the H. Lloyd Merckx decals (whose "Made In Belgium" decal is nothing like mine was)

Professional respray is expensive, but worth it. Grand job done.

The decals I got from H Lloyd are pretty thin so will see how they last on my Ribble. Let's say the 653 sticker did not like any 'polish' going on it.

Fortunately I applied the stickers in the end (after painting) - means I can replace any that get tatty.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I haven't got over it yet but it started with a 6. However, about £100 of that was to put a longer steerer onto the fork and to thread it down

Holy shoot Batman, that's a lot of dosh! :eek: You've got to really like it a lot to spend that sort of cash on renovations. My entire stable of steel bikes doesn't add up to that much.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If you compare it to the price of having a new steel frame of similar quality built, it suddenly seems reasonable.

Yes it does but then to the skinflints in this world like me and @SkipdiverJohn it's also a lot more than buying another quality second hand complete bike .

Must admit i do like the refinish but there is no way i could justify that cost for my Eddy

Top Bottom