Eddy Merckx Strada OS finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SheilaH

It's a complete mystery to me how "SkipDiverJohn" got his name.

And what a surprise that making things nicer, costs more.

Do you do anything other than look for opportunities to snark at people?

It's a nice bike. Roger clearly enjoys it, has done a great job, spent a wad on it. And here you are with your sarcastic bitterness.

Team Telekom 1995 colours, components mostly DA of various ages. Only half a pound lighter than Olaf Ludwig's team Titane, although his was a slightly larger frame (60.5cm, mine is 59cm and Columbus Brain Custom steel).

Argos did the paint. Olaf's has the Eddy Merckx name applied using spray masks but mine is done with decals.

Stunning job. Well done for pulling it all together.

Watch those BBs though. Rumour is you have a reputation for destroying them.

Team Telekom 1995 colours, components mostly DA of various ages. Only half a pound lighter than Olaf Ludwig's team Titane, although his was a slightly larger frame (60.5cm, mine is 59cm and Columbus Brain Custom steel).

Argos did the paint. Olaf's has the Eddy Merckx name applied using spray masks but mine is done with decals.
https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/20210224_154515-jpg.575535
What I like about this bike is that at first glance it looks quite a modern machine, with it's fashionably-pink looks (and amber sidewalls).

But then you realise it's got proper retro skinny tubes :smile:

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SheilaH said:
: Watch those BBs though. Rumour is you have a reputation for destroying them.
I used to get through 1055 BBs depressingly quickly (water ingress), and was unlucky with my first few cartridge BBs, one of which seized after 70 miles. Oh, and the TA Axix Light on my fixie needed constant attention!

The secret to cup and cone BBs is this: never ride them in the wet.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/20210224_154515-jpg.575535
What I like about this bike is that at first glance it looks quite a modern machine, with it's fashionably-pink looks (and amber sidewalls).

But then you realise it's got proper retro skinny tubes :smile:
Actually, amber sidewalls ARE painfully retro: they were just "rediscovered" last year. These are Schwalbe One 25mm and I don't think they are imported into the UK, except in tubeless form. I got them from Mantel in the Netherlands.

Most people would have gone for Motorola or 7-Eleven colours but...Lance. Ugh.

Actually, amber sidewalls ARE painfully retro: they were just "rediscovered" last year. These are Schwalbe One 25mm and I don't think they are imported into the UK, except in tubeless form. I got them from Mantel in the Netherlands.

Most people would have gone for Motorola or 7-Eleven colours but...Lance. Ugh.

Cracking choice of colour,:okay: the hipster choice would have been Stuttgart, bit that is so obviously obscure^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes it does but then to the skinflints in this world like me and @SkipdiverJohn it's also a lot more than buying another quality second hand complete bike .

Pre-virus, if you were patient and choosy about what you bought, you could pick up not just one but several 531 (or equivalent) quality steel bikes for that sort of total outlay, because that's exactly what I have done - spread over a period of time.

For the record, I also think @rogerzilla's Merckx refurb has come out great, but the way I look at it do I spend a big chunk of dosh on just one immaculate machine I'm frightened to use or leave anywhere in case something happens to it, or do I have several less pristine but still decent bikes that I'm happy to use regularly and aren't overly precious about?. For me, usability trumps absolute flawless cosmetics.

Top Bottom