Edge 530 price drop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
My edge 520 was playing up lately so started weighing up the upgrade options...then Garmin support got me running again. Then last night the battery lasted 90 minutes, and today charging is tempermental.

Frustratingly last week I saw the 530 on Amazon and Halfords for £230 - and in stock.

Now it seems to be back to the £250-260 mark. Does anyone have any indication of why that price drop happened and if there's a price cycle I should be aware of, so I can hold out again?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

si_c

Guru
Just as a side point, I've got an 820, decent unit, used it for years, never failed me. Picked up a 1030plus (so same internals as the 530 near enough) and it's a massive improvement, particularly with navigation and routing. Battery life is really good as well - and apparently comparable in the 530 so probably worth £250 anyway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just as a side point, I've got an 820, decent unit, used it for years, never failed me. Picked up a 1030plus (so same internals as the 530 near enough) and it's a massive improvement, particularly with navigation and routing. Battery life is really good as well - and apparently comparable in the 530 so probably worth £250 anyway.
I'm still running a 800 unit I bought cheap when the 820 was introduced....

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
520 is still a great unit. all yours needs is probably a battery swap which is around £10. I have heard about a firmware update messing with a few things though with regards to battery and power consumption. Ive not experienced the battery issue on mine though I think i swapped out the battery to my 520 around december last year???

Last edited:
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
520 is still a great unit. all yours needs is probably a battery swap which is around £10. I have heard about a firmware update messing with a few things though with regards to battery and power consumption. Ive not experienced the battery issue on mine though I think i swapped out the battery to my 520 around december last year???
I have got a spare battery and kit to do it, but never got round to it last year as problems disapated. I think I'll do the battery swap now, and then if the price drops and my issues aren't resolved, I'll make the move.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have got a spare battery and kit to do it, but never got round to it last year as problems disapated. I think I'll do the battery swap now, and then if the price drops and my issues aren't resolved, I'll make the move.

My advice would be to take it slow and easy when digging around the underside of the screen. Garmin have used some sort of adhesive pad to stick screen into the casing but the screens are pretty fragile. You want to gently work the screen loose all around before lifting it out because any pressure could make it crack and damage the display.

Its a pretty straightforward job otherwise. When you are done you can seal the device back up with some silicone bathroom/kitchen sealent or automotive gasket maker from Halfords. I wouldnt try to reuse the old adhesive to hold the screen in place... I mean you could but that wouldnt guarantee the device being weather proof again.

message me if you get stuck or have any questions about the process.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
My advice would be to take it slow and easy when digging around the underside of the screen. Garmin have used some sort of adhesive pad to stick screen into the casing but the screens are pretty fragile. You want to gently work the screen loose all around before lifting it out because any pressure could make it crack and damage the display.

Its a pretty straightforward job otherwise. When you are done you can seal the device back up with some silicone bathroom/kitchen sealent or automotive gasket maker from Halfords. I wouldnt try to reuse the old adhesive to hold the screen in place... I mean you could but that wouldnt guarantee the device being weather proof again.

message me if you get stuck or have any questions about the process.
Top tip. Thanks.

yello

I'm still using an Edge 305. I've changed the battery once and it's going again. Fortunately, it's enough for the rides I do these days. I've also changed the buttons on the side. It'll pack up terminally one day, I'm sure, but it'll do me until it does.

Top Bottom