Edge Overboard!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I'm coming down this hill near the end of my 55 miler today. I'm tucked in, doing about 30 mph but starting to brake as the traffic ahead is slowing for the lights at the bottom. All of a sudden I hear a 'pop' and straight after my stem mounted Edge 705 departs for the tarmac.

I feared the worst as it not only had to contend with hitting the tarmac but there was also a stream of traffic following as well. As soon as I pulled over I could see it lying forlornly in the offside tyre path of the descending vehicles. The first two drivers luckily saw it and drove round and I managed to wave the third driver to a halt so I could retrieve it. Thanks guys.

The damage? Well, apart from a scuff on one corner all seems well. It carried on recording and i have been able to download the days ride without any problem. Both cable ties had failed and I can't for the life of me see why they did so at this particular point. There was no jarring, unusual vibration or sudden bumps and sabotage is highly doubtful.

I'll make sure I feed the thickest two cable ties I can into the mount when I remount it tonight. A lucky escape me thinks!

Anyone else had anything similar?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My Holux jumped ship on a fast downhill, I was amazed to find it intact!

Sent from the remains of my brain using my meaty fingers on a silly virtual keyboard.

The only time I've had similar was when my Edge was in my Topeak Stem Mounted Phone Bag, free wheeling down a hill where I'd hit 30mph+ (depending on traffic) it came flying off (the bag & Edge 305 that is ;)). Its a busy road but I was amazed traffic disappeared for my sprint back up hill and the bag and Edge were perfectly intact, a tough wee unit.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I dropped one of those old cassette walkmans into a canal I was commuting alongside once. I was trying to flip the cassette over to the B side ( one of 'The La's' albums I think) but couldn't be ar$sed to stop to do it. Went over a bump, and the thing went straight into the drink! In my case, it was unlikely to be in working order again should I have fancied a dip to recover it!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I stopped at a pub on an evening ride and unclipped my Cateye so that I recorded only the riding. Forgot to click it back and set off to blast the remaining few miles home, where I discovered I'd lost it. I was almost more upset about losing my odo reading than the computer itself. Set off in the car to retrace my steps and about a mile from the pub there it was, lying in the wheeltrack of the narrow lane where it would certainly have been squashed if any car had come past during the last 15 - 20 minutes. Phew!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Could you fit a small (thin) lanyard to it and then loop that around the stem so that if the cable ties give way it is still, loosely, attached to the bike?
I though of this but there is no point to attach a lanyard on the unit. I realise now both cable ties were tensioned quite well. Neither snapped but rather the connectors failed. I suppose when the first one went the second could not hold out by itself.

So, as well as using the thickest ties I can fit, I'm going to feed them is opposite directions so the strain is different on each. I'll have one tensioned enough to stop the mount sliding around and the other not quite as tight so it is not under the same stress and should just keep the mount loosely on the stem if the first one goes. Hopefully!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
So, I'm coming down this hill near the end of my 55 miler today. I'm tucked in, doing about 30 mph but starting to brake as the traffic ahead is slowing for the lights at the bottom. All of a sudden I hear a 'pop' and straight after my stem mounted Edge 705 departs for the tarmac.

I feared the worst as it not only had to contend with hitting the tarmac but there was also a stream of traffic following as well. As soon as I pulled over I could see it lying forlornly in the offside tyre path of the descending vehicles. The first two drivers luckily saw it and drove round and I managed to wave the third driver to a halt so I could retrieve it. Thanks guys.

The damage? Well, apart from a scuff on one corner all seems well. It carried on recording and i have been able to download the days ride without any problem. Both cable ties had failed and I can't for the life of me see why they did so at this particular point. There was no jarring, unusual vibration or sudden bumps and sabotage is highly doubtful.

I'll make sure I feed the thickest two cable ties I can into the mount when I remount it tonight. A lucky escape me thinks!

Anyone else had anything similar?

no, but i will be putting in an extra pair of cable ties now!

I was on my way across London to catch the train to Portsmouth when as I went around the Bush house gyratory the little bag with my phone, psion (a few years back) passport, wallet(s) jumped off the handle bars - ran over by at least three taxis and one small lorry - managed to retrieve by jumping out in the road and stopping the traffic - contents apart from a couple of biros was surprisingly intact.

Similaly on tour my camera jumped off the handle bars at over 50kph going down a hill - hurtled forwards - and I ran it over - bit scuffed but still worked

Top Bottom