Edinburgh - Burnshot Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Yesterday I commuted past the Royal Elizabeth Yard then along Burnshot Road to Cramond, instead of either A90 path or A8000. On the way in it was into a bit of a headwind ;) and hard going, but a nice quiet route with some great views, and very smooth surface. Noticeably longer too by about a mile.

On the way home I managed to average about 40kph for the length of it (about 3 miles)!:ohmy::biggrin: Wind was still blowing obviously!

It's just been resurfaced and there's not one pothole or pile of dust, almost like a track. If you're able to try it on your route, give it a burl, it's fantastic;)

Tetedelacourse said:
Yesterday I commuted past the Royal Elizabeth Yard then along Burnshot Road to Cramond, instead of either A90 path or A8000. On the way in it was into a bit of a headwind ;) and hard going, but a nice quiet route with some great views, and very smooth surface. Noticeably longer too by about a mile.

On the way home I managed to average about 40kph for the length of it (about 3 miles)!:ohmy::biggrin: Wind was still blowing obviously!

It's just been resurfaced and there's not one pothole or pile of dust, almost like a track. If you're able to try it on your route, give it a burl, it's fantastic;)

Can you send some of the workmen over here to Glasgow please!:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
It is my commute route. When it was being resurfaced, the road was closed, but accessible. It was lovely - traffic free and a reasonable surface. Sadly, the cars are now back, but the surface has improved immeasurably. I hope they tackle the western end of this road nearer to Kirkliston as the surface for east bound traffic is not great.

gavintc said:
It is my commute route. When it was being resurfaced, the road was closed, but accessible. It was lovely - traffic free and a reasonable surface. Sadly, the cars are now back, but the surface has improved immeasurably. I hope they tackle the western end of this road nearer to Kirkliston as the surface for east bound traffic is not great.
There was a golden spell when the road (except access & few rat runners ;)) was still shut to cars but completely resurfaced. One night a 4x4 travelling the opposite direction to me (I was heading for crammond) that needed to cross to my side of the road to get round a barrier got a bit of a suprise when I came flying through.

Ranger

It's my daily commute as well and is now perfect, even though they needed to do the bit under the railway bridge twice as it fell to bits the first time. My variation is to turn right off Burnshot Road, up the hill and then left past the Royal Elizabeth Yards and down to the Queensferry to Kirkliston Road.

This last week loads of cycle commuters have appeared on the route. Call themselves proper cyclists, where were they all winter in the sleet and ice?;)

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Ranger said:
It's my daily commute as well and is now perfect, even though they needed to do the bit under the railway bridge twice as it fell to bits the first time. My variation is to turn right off Burnshot Road, up the hill and then left past the Royal Elizabeth Yards and down to the Queensferry to Kirkliston Road.

This last week loads of cycle commuters have appeared on the route. Call themselves proper cyclists, where were they all winter in the sleet and ice?;)

That's the way I went Ranger. On my chinstrap at the top of that wee hill.:ohmy: Bridge was tough last night too.

Sleet and ice - I was going down through Kirky then along the A8;)

Top Bottom