Edinburgh St Andrews 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ach, Simon you should have signed the jersey when you had the chance, anyway welcome:biggrin:

The other news is that I saw my GP this morning and it is official I have cracked one (possibly two) rib(s). He has given me some stronger painkillers and told me I will be fine, in four to six weeks...

simon_brooke said:
HTC G1 running Android, and using Google My Tracks software. Mine's actually a Google developers' phone, and so is unlocked, but it's identical to a T-Mobile G1; the same software runs on the Android phones that Vodafone are now selling, and on other Android phones as they become available.

The benefit of the Android platform for this sort of thing is that you only have to carry one device. The downside is that when running GPS tracking the battery life on the standard battery is about five hours, so I have a double capacity battery (twelve quid off eBay) which I use for long rides. The other downside of Android is that it's reliant on the network for mapping; when we got lost on the Exmouth Exodus under the escarpment of the Mendips we didn't have any network coverage so we didn't have a map.

However, over all I'm very pleased with it. When cycling one needs to travel light, and to have one device which provides phone, still and movie camera, GPS, network browser, compass and a whole slew of other functions seem to me a good deal.

Be warned. I can't currently upload my Trossachs Ton track using My Tracks. Apparently there is a problem with long tracks, which they are currently trying to fix. :rolleyes:

simon_brooke

magnatom said:
Be warned. I can't currently upload my Trossachs Ton track using My Tracks. Apparently there is a problem with long tracks, which they are currently trying to fix. :blush:

Have you updated to the latest version? I was having that problem prior to updating, but had no difficulty with the Edinburgh-St Andrews ride.

simon_brooke said:
Have you updated to the latest version? I was having that problem prior to updating, but had no difficulty with the Edinburgh-St Andrews ride.

Yes it is 1.0.2 I have. I've mentioned it on the My Track forum and they have said they hope to have a fix out within a week.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :blush:

HLaB said:
It went something like this

PS try uploading to something like Motionbased

It's getting the data off my phone at all that is the problem at the moment. I have been promised a fix before the end of the week.

Can you upload non-garmin gps traces to motionbased? It has some nice analysis features.

magnatom said:
It's getting the data off my phone at all that is the problem at the moment. I have been promised a fix before the end of the week.

Can you upload non-garmin gps traces to motionbased? It has some nice analysis features.
It reads the file direct of my garmin edge via the usb it might do with your phone.

Alternatively you can manually upload the gps (gpx) file, it a little bit limiting on file size however.

If I need to convert the file type, I usually use this site

Somebody might also be able suggest a similar site to Motionbased, thats less garmin specific.

simon_brooke

HLaB said:
It reads the file direct of my garmin edge via the usb it might do with your phone.

Alternatively you can manually upload the gps (gpx) file, it a little bit limiting on file size however.

If I need to convert the file type, I usually use this site

Somebody might also be able suggest a similar site to Motionbased, thats less garmin specific.

I quite like Map My Ride. It's a clone of the owners map-my-run site and is probably more geared to running than to cycling, but it has a lot of nice features never the less. You can upload GPX files.

Top Bottom