Edinburgh St Andrews 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I saw you up on the hill, but due to an unfortunate incident earlier in the day I wasn't able to walk fast enough to get up and say hallo...

I was the only one wearing a CC top there...

Didn't get to meet Ariadne or Backache, bit of a shame, hopefully they will come along to one of the other rides...

OP
OP
B

Backache

The Backache logistics were not great, so I was a little late. Mrs Backache had checked out the start and showed it to me, however cruising up and down ferry road gave no clue.
Started just after 9am and thoroughly enjoyed the cycle. The only down side was having promised my daughter an ice cream at the top of Cleish Hill the queue for the ice cream was not unexpected, however the even longer queue for the midges to feed of my legs was not welcome. Wish I could have left earlier.
Finished just before 5pm which allowed plenty of time for a fish supper and a pint on the grass.
My logistic failings came to the fore again on our retun to Embra. I had failed to spot that the drop off point was different from the starting point so we had to cycle back to Ferry Road to get the car to head back to Glasgow. Fortunately some helpful souls told us us the route on the cycle track which was a fair bit easier than finding our way round by road.,
Sorry not to see anyone but my organisational skills were not at their best.

Anyone considering this for next year,I would highly recommend it. Lovely scenery on quiet roads through FIfe, well organised and friendly. Nothing like the crowds at the stops that Pedal Scotland has(Enjoyable though that is)

A great ride!

An old friend gave me a call in the middle of the week to see if I was doing this, so he joined me and we rode it together. We met up with HJ, Mrs HJ (who I found out reads here as a guest - come on & sign up Mrs HJ, you know you want to.) and Scoosh. Mrs Scoosh & their son were about at the start somewhere, but we didn't meet at that end of the ride. I also met up with a couple of other people I know, both planning a 4 hour ride. When one commented on my lack of gears I made the pronouncement that gears are for wimps. Something that I had the odd moment to regret saying.

The start was from a different location to previous years, forced primarily by tram works that are blighting Embra. However, in my opinion, this was a much better start than the old location. Sure there were holdups, but there were from the other start as well, and these seemed to be on a lesser extent. Mind you the police were much more pro-active this time.

On the roll out to the bridge, I spotted a couple of other people on fixies, so moved up to join them for a chat. One had a shiny new Dolan FXE that he had just finished building at 2am that morning and had only given it test spin before the ride. This was going to be his first real experience of fixed riding.

The climb up to the ice cream van had it's tough moments and I had to walk for a bit. I can handle climbs, so long as the gradient is not too much. We did not stop at the van. I knew the queues would be long and the midges hungry, so we wove our way through and onwards. Apart from the loose stuf on some corners requiring careful choice of lines, the descent was fine.

During the ride we joined, passed and were re-passed variously by the HJ's and Scoosh. We met up at the lunch stop with the HJ's and our timing was impeccable, seating ourselves in the tent just as it started to rain and leaving as it cleared up.

I had a minor equipment failure. Mainly my fault for over stressing the saddle bag by using it as a support to tie rolled up bundles to. So we redistributed things a bit. Unfortunately this meant requiring to wear my jacket when I was too hot.

In all, I regretted saying gears are for wimps a total of 4 times, but given that I had to walk twice last year on a 9speed triple (yes I know!) I don't think I did too badly. Last year I had been quicker, but this year I found it easier. Part due to the wind direction and strength.

Rolling into St. Andrews, we did not get lost as I had done previously and we arrived to see the rest of the CC crew relaxing in the sun where I was introduced to Noodles.

While watching the rest of the cyclists arrive, it was good to see the variety of riders and machines. From full on road bikes to folders and hire bikes. From fully fit people to one chap who had a spinal injury on a hand trike. From full lycra (should have had a camera for the women in lycra thread) to street clothes (the lady Brompton rider with long summer skirt). A fair number of tandems, but apart from the hand trike, no 'bents.

Mrs T and the Touchlettes arrived to collect us for a pizza and the drive home.

A moment of excitement took place as we were loading the bikes on the car. There was a load bang behind us and there was a chap in full touring mode with a broken chain and a flat rear. Fortunately I had a spare 9speed powerlink in my kit and he managed to get hold of an inner tube from somewhere as the flat appeared to have been caused by the chain hitting the valve stem and tearing it off the tube. A truly strange sequence of events.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Touche said:

While watching the rest of the cyclists arrive, it was good to see the variety of riders and machines. From full on road bikes to folders and hire bikes. From fully fit people to one chap who had a spinal injury on a hand trike. From full lycra (should have had a camera for the women in lycra thread) to street clothes (the lady Brompton rider with long summer skirt). A fair number of tandems, but apart from the hand trike, no 'bents.

What do you mean no bents, I saw at least three, yous was looking at the lassies and thinking of the lycra thread too much...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Basically I came out of lunch, went to join the main road again at the junction stopped to wait for traffic, unclipped left but before putting left foot down, went to unclip right, lost balance and went over to the right. I was out of the saddle and somehow dived onto the left end of the bars which left a lasting impression on my jersey View attachment 3268

View attachment 3269

didn't do my ribs any good either. Odd thing was when I got back on the bike it didn't feel too bad, so long as I took it easy and didn't breath hard.

Today it only hurts if I walk, laugh, yawn or try to breath hard, so just have to take things easy...

Note to self: remember to unclip both feet before getting out of the saddle...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
An honest tale ! :laugh:

I heard that it was someone else's 'clipless moment' that caused you to keel over - not the after-effects of your lunch ;)

Just don't laugh too much :blush:

Have you had an X-ray or do you need to go to see mags in his professional capacity ?? :becool:

Noodley

HJ said:
I saw you up on the hill, but due to an unfortunate incident earlier in the day I wasn't able to walk fast enough to get up and say hallo...

Sorry for not seeing you :biggrin: There was quite a gathering by that point so I suppose I can be excused...

And hope your pain subsides soon....it couldn't have been that sore or my attention would have been drawn to you by the screaming! :biggrin::biggrin:

simon_brooke

scoosh said:
That's a great track, record and photos :biggrin:

What Satnav does Simon use ?

HTC G1 running Android, and using Google My Tracks software. Mine's actually a Google developers' phone, and so is unlocked, but it's identical to a T-Mobile G1; the same software runs on the Android phones that Vodafone are now selling, and on other Android phones as they become available.

The benefit of the Android platform for this sort of thing is that you only have to carry one device. The downside is that when running GPS tracking the battery life on the standard battery is about five hours, so I have a double capacity battery (twelve quid off eBay) which I use for long rides. The other downside of Android is that it's reliant on the network for mapping; when we got lost on the Exmouth Exodus under the escarpment of the Mendips we didn't have any network coverage so we didn't have a map.

However, over all I'm very pleased with it. When cycling one needs to travel light, and to have one device which provides phone, still and movie camera, GPS, network browser, compass and a whole slew of other functions seem to me a good deal.

Top Bottom