Edinburgh the City that gives.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edinburgh briefly had a marketing slogan which was 'count me in' with the 'in' being part of the word 'Edinburgh'. This was famously derided by Michael Kelly, the provost of Glasgow who had introduced the miles better campaign, as he said it was an old idea that had already been tried by every town or city except Scunthorpe.
This might be the second time that Glasgow and Scunthorpe have ever been associated.
It was an immature 13-year old Ed who decided that his favourite football team was Scunthorpe United. It was my solution to the Glaswegian Kobayashi Maru - where a ned would ask the extremely loaded question "uur ye sellik ur ranjurs", if you guessed wrong you'd get the crap beat out of you, if you guessed right they wouldn't believe you and do it anyway. With an answer like "Neither, I follow Scunthorpe United because they have a swear word in the name" you could engage both of their brain cells long enough to escape.

Slioch

Guru
This might be the second time that Glasgow and Scunthorpe have ever been associated.
It was an immature 13-year old Ed who decided that his favourite football team was Scunthorpe United. It was my solution to the Glaswegian Kobayashi Maru - where a ned would ask the extremely loaded question "uur ye sellik ur ranjurs", if you guessed wrong you'd get the crap beat out of you, if you guessed right they wouldn't believe you and do it anyway. With an answer like "Neither, I follow Scunthorpe United because they have a swear word in the name" you could engage both of their brain cells long enough to escape.

After brief flirtations with following Queens Park and then St Mirren, I finally settled on supporting Partick Thistle. Confused the hell out of the neds whenever they asked me that question.

As an aside, watching Queens Park was a surreal experience, with a crowd of about 200 spread thinly around Hampden Park. The pies were good though.

Top Bottom