Edinburgh to Galloway - route planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought down the A70 to Carnwath, B7016 to Libberton, peel off to Thankerton/A73, south on A73, across to B7078, then B740 to Sanquhar. Southern Upland Way to Dalry, then A713 to Castle Douglas.

This is on a mountain bike with slicks. Quite new to cycling really so thought I'd run it past the cyclechatterers.I'd expect it to take all day. I'm not biting off too much am I?

Hello, Gordy. Sounds like you've set yourself up for a long ride, though not impossible. I knew someone who used to cycle on fairly regularly from Bearsden in Glasgow down to Castle Douglas, and that was a day trip, too.
What brings you down this neck of the woods?
Just don't forget your waterproofs!

Doing that stretch on the SUW might be a good trip on its own, but only you will know how fit you are for those miles after what you'll have done already. I'm not sure it would end up being a short cut in time, especially if the weather turns bad part way down it. Not trying to put you off, though!

simon_brooke

GordyFaeEdinburgh said:
I thought down the A70 to Carnwath, B7016 to Libberton, peel off to Thankerton/A73, south on A73, across to B7078, then B740 to Sanquhar. Southern Upland Way to Dalry, then A713 to Castle Douglas.

This is on a mountain bike with slicks. Quite new to cycling really so thought I'd run it past the cyclechatterers.I'd expect it to take all day. I'm not biting off too much am I?

The A 701 over the Beeftub is honestly not a bad road until you get to Beattock, and there's a new off-road cycle path from Beattock via Ae to Dumfries. From Dumfries to Castle douglas the Old Military Road is fine.

Whether you come down the Beeftub or down the Dalveen or Mennock passes you're going to get an epic descent anyway, so enjoy!

The A76 is NOT fun to cycle on, nor is the A75, but they're easily avoided.

TwoTired

Around 100 miles including 10 offroad - I dont think I could manage that in a comfortable day. FWIW despite OS there's no path between the bothy and Lorg; probably you'll have to walk the forest as it's a firebreak (low branches, drainage ditches). The hillside afterwards is open and for you downhill.

Using A702/minor roads would be much quicker especially if you miss out Dalry - not a lot there. But road via Tynron is one to be missed.

I'm familiar with all the roads in question and pretty much agree with what anyone has said about which ones are or aren't going to be any fun for cycling.

I was, I think, just really keen to avoid doing all of it on the road, hence what probably looks like a weird detour to Dalry. Moffat, Dumfries, then the military road would certainly be faster. I'll sleep on it.

Thanks, all.

Simon - you didn't used to work with Jon Gibbs-Smith at the wee place just beyond the bowling green did you?

rualexander

Legendary Member
My choice of route would be : south east out of Edinburgh to Bonnyrigg/Gorebridge, then onto B7007, B709 to Innerleithen, continuing on B709 to Eskdalemuir, B723 (or alternative minor roads) to Lockerbie, minor roads to Dumfries, then on to Castle Douglas.
No off road section in there but if you wanted to you could take the road up to the head of the Ettrick valley and onto the Southern Upland Way there (passing Over Phawhope bothy), which you can ride (mostly) through to Moffat, then head south on minor roads from there. Or instead of taking the SUW all the way to Moffat you can cut south about 3km after Ettrick Head on forest tracks to join the minor roads at Laverhay farm.

The military road is very up and down. I would have thought it could be quite taxing at the end of such a long ride.

Feck - pedals started falling to bits on the way south. Cable-ties worked until Tweedsmuir but then the right-hand pedal disintegrated completely.

A701 was shut at Leadburn as well so got diverted through Peebles. Not to mention the unfailing headwind.

;)/

At least my wife hadn't passed me in the car yet and was only ten minutes away.

:ohmy:

p1000560.jpg

Top Bottom