Edunburgh to Oban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
What would be the best (most pleasant) route from Edinburgh to Oban? Looking at the map I'm thinking take the Forth Bridge from Edinburgh (for the bridge's sake), then go through Dunfermline/Alloa/A84/A85 on to Oban. Comments? Parts/roads to include or avoid? Thanks :tongue:

MichaelM

Guru
How about from Dunfermline, past Knockhill to Powmill (823) then over Gleneagles turn left to Braco, then 827 to Comrie., St Fillans, south side of Loch Earn.

There's a cycletrack over Glen Ogle - but I've not used it. Not sure what the alternatives are to the A85 after that.

I do the Edinburgh to Dunfermline Route a fair bit I used to use NCN 1 but have found the quiet country roads a lot better (the ncn is very narrow). You've not much choice other than to go by the bridge unless you want a 40mile detour instead of 2 miles. I do a route that takes me from Granton (North Edinburgh), to the north of airport (Burnshot Road), Standing Stane Road, Queen Elizabeth yard, through the south of South Queensferry and to the Bridge. I then rejoin NCN 1 (its on nice rural roads now) through Inverkeithing and up the back road to Dunfermline. I usually branch off then but the ncn carries on north, through the Cliesh Hills (great views up there too). You can branch to Alloa via the quiet B roads either north or south of the Cliesh Hill (South being more directish). Dunfermline, Townhill, Steelend, Saline. Clackmannan, Alloa.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Personal I enjoy riding over the Forth Road Bridge, as you get a great view of the rail bridge and you can stop to take photo (can't do that in a car). I am told it can get interesting in high winds...

scook94

Veteran
Was up in Oban today (by car from Stirling), it's a great drive but if I had a choice and time on my hands I'd go up Loch Lomond-side then at Tarbet head over Rest and Be Thankful (long, steep hill) to Arrochar and on to Inverary. From there head up towards Dalmally and pick the A85 from there. Of course it'll be a longer route but I much prefer the scenery that way.

Once you hit Stirling and the A84 you don't have much option, but to get there then the route via Alloa is the one I'd pick.

TwoTired

1) The Glen Ogle cyclepath(great views) is preferable though you may have to walk up from Lochearnhead.

2) After Taynuilt take the road thru Glen Lonan to Oban

MichaelM said:
How about from Dunfermline, past Knockhill to Powmill (823) then over Gleneagles turn left to Braco, then 827 to Comrie., St Fillans, south side of Loch Earn.

There's a cycletrack over Glen Ogle - but I've not used it. Not sure what the alternatives are to the A85 after that.

I'd 2nd this. Nicer than the Dunfermline/Aloa stretch. Lots of nice hilly bit past Knockhill.

MichaelM

Guru
I watched Railway Walks last night (Julia Bradbury mmmm!), anyway....

She went out from callander on NCN 7 to Killin which goes along the Glen Ogle cycle path. It looked like it would be worth detouring from Lochearnhead to gain the cyclepath. I'm not sure the cyclepath would be too suitable for narrow tyres though.

Michael

Definitely detour onto the cyclepath at Glen Ogle.
The road climb to the top of Glen Ogle can be very unpleasant, particularly if caravans are out. The descent to Killin isn't great on narrow tyres (23c) but can be done. I would rejoin the road at the summit (after a venison burger at the burger van) and then keep your elbows tucked in to Tyndrum. The road quietens significantly after here. You get a free tour of Cruachan powerstation if you turn up by bike, so allow time for that (there's also a cafe).

Alves

To find the Glen Ogle bypass near Lochearnhead:
When you leave the South side of L Tay road and come onto a T junction at the main road (A 85), it's best to turn left and follow this uphill for about half a mile, this is a small detour in the wrong direction. Keep a lookout for a cycle track on the right on the other side of the road. There's one point where it is very close to the main road and separated only by a fence, this is where to cross onto the cycle track and follow it to the right uphill (quite steeply in parts, I seem to remember Noodley struggled on this section a couple of years back but I'm too discreet to mention that). Its a nice viewpoint.

Noodley

Alves said:
(quite steeply in parts, I seem to remember Noodley struggled on this section a couple of years back but I'm too discreet to mention that).

I was merely seeing if I could walk uphill in Look cleats as an experiment :biggrin:

Top Bottom