Eeeeyuuugh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should point out here, I'm not perfect, but I am improving. Anyway what I was really annoyed at seeing was the OP's suggestion of violence. There were no smileys.

Origamist

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
If you are suggesting that there are many people who would deliberately drive into, knock over and kill or injure someone in cold blood then you are plain wrong. There are very, very few people around who would.

That said, if you prefer to avoid conflict, that is purely up to you. I find that I rarely have incidents nowadays anyway as I can predict what people are going to do and avoid them. If I do get into a situation, I don't hesitate to throw a few expletives around.

I'm suggesting that people who have been involved in slanging matches would be more inclined to use their cars as weapons - be it to intimidate or injure. The likelihood depends on the individual.

I am pleased to hear that you have finely-honed psychological profiling skills - not all of us have this gift.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
User1314 said:
At least he was on a bike!

My issue here is an aesthetic and common-sense one.

1. I'm sorry but "big-boned" people should not wear clingy clothes.

2. You don't need snazzy gear unless you're any good, anyway.

Bib tights are 'snazzy gear' ? You're having a laugh. They're practical and totally comfortable and don't chafe when wet or when you get sweaty. I bought some when I was still a beginner, purely for those reasons (plus they're the only thing for commuting in a Scottish winter).

I think the 'bib-tights and no top' look is possibly just the cycling equivalent of those older blokes that you see in shorts, socks and sandals in summer... :tongue:

redjedi

Über Member
So Crock, what is the average cyclist supposed to wear?

They can't wear lycra, big or slim unless they're "good"

They can't wear their normal clothes.

They can't wear "Overly appropriately" attire.

It doesn't leave much else. Perhaps just a pair of speedos would be alright with you?

I see the point in your first post about bib shorts without a top, not a great look on anyone, but I have no problem with larger people wearing lycra or tight clothes, as long as bulging stomaches are covered by something.
I'm not a lean sleak cyclists, but I wear correctly fitted cycling tops as they help keep me cool (or warm in winter) but I haven't got the bottle to wear lycra without baggies yet (although I'm sure my legs and bum wouldn't offend anyone, my stomach is a different story).

And I don't mind getting stuck behind a larger woman in lycra, as I did in Richmond park on sunday. Quite a nice view :tongue:

OP
OP
T
Ok, I shouldn't have made the remark about knocking him off. I'm a bit cranky this morning.

But he really was awful looking. It's not that this offends the eye, there's the whole backstory - that here is a person with so little self-awareness that they think it's a good look. Apart from which, he must have been cold, and at risk of sunburn. Wierd.

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
As bentmikey suggests it is much more satisfying to take the higher ground, to use reason against them. Talking sensibly confuses them, they expect to be shouted at. They don't expect you to calmly point out what they have done wrong. Then when they flounder or talk complete gibberish you have the satisfaction that you can place them on youtube to be seen as the idiot that they are.

I genuinely feel that this approach is more satisfying than shouting and as mike says can have positive effects. I have had drivers genuinely apologise.

Oops - better change that sig line Magna.:tongue:

Tetedelacourse said:
Oops - better change that sig line Magna.:tongue:

Not at all. When I say them, I mean any road user who does something that I deem as wrong, dangerous or inappropriate which might cause me to get annoyed or angry.

So there! :ohmy:

Tetedelacourse

And of course "they" all react in the same way. Generalisation.

Tetedelacourse said:
And of course "they" all react in the same way. Generalisation.

I qualified that they don't, as I mentioned that some do apologise!

Of course you could say that I am generalising about people who are bad drivers and who hurl abuse at cyclists. I could generalise about this group and say that they are all bad drivers and they generally hurl abuse at cyclists. That particular group I am happy to generalise about. They are all scoundrels!! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
But he really was awful looking. It's not that this offends the eye, there's the whole backstory - that here is a person with so little self-awareness that they think it's a good look. Apart from which, he must have been cold, and at risk of sunburn. Wierd.

Or maybe he just doesn't give a feck what you or any other knob thinks?

It really does show that some people are simply amazingly shallow that that OP even exists!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Tetedelacourse said:
Bibtights and no top is a monstrosity for anyone!

Unless of course it's a beautiful woman with great big norks.

Like that topless skinny young lady advertising some company's bib tights that you see in some cycling mags ? Good job she's always accompanied by topless, bib-tight-wearing, Mr Six Pack so that there are no compliants about sexism from either side... :smile:

MERV

Rhythm Thief said:
Who cares what the poor chap wears on his Brompton? If he's comfortable cycling in a transparent polythene loincloth and a leather teddy, good for him. I don't understand why so many cyclists are so bloody smug about being skinny.

Im not skinny pal and i'd be a bit self conscious as I am about my beer gut.

Top Bottom