Election bumf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I did a straw poll at work today.

Most people are voting for one of the 'big' 3. Thrown in are a few BNP/UKIPs.

I put the Green option to them, and they said, 'what's the point, they won't win?'

My reply:

'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've already got"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must agree that I don't know who changes their mind based on those posters....

What I'm getting really irritated with is the amount of literature that I'm receiving through the post... some un-named but a large percentage of the envelopes I'm receiving at the moment is actually targetting me... not Mr Summerdays - he hasn't had even one of these letters. I get all interested in who might be writing to me .. open it only to be disappointed. In the end it helped me make up my mind that one party was above the others were wasting too much paper so I decided to not vote for them based on that and some part of the information in those bits of papers. I'd had previously going to vote for that party.

Davidc

Guru
Not as bad as election time in France. Not just the lamp posts but every tree from top to bottom and just about every other available posterable surface.

I've seen an awful lot of Tory posters on sticks out in the ountryside but not much except LD in Taunton and the other towns.

The other noticeable thing is the general defacing of the Tory "Vote for change" posters. Quite a few now say "For the worse" at the bottom, most are fairly rude and crude.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Some of the Vote Labour/Conservative/Liberal Democrat is often to remind people that there's an election on. Because we have a fallow year I find it a bit difficult to remember precisely which years the local elections are on.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Davidc said:
Definitely. Just because Poles are East Europeans she shouldn't have singled them out .....

:evil: I'll remind Badders that I haven't admitted to anything, just made an observation about fitness of purpose. Anyway, theft is not really the term I'd use. I prefer to think of it as a cross between campaigning and the active redistribution of property.

classic33

Leg End Member
magnatom said:
What is the point in the election lampost poster things that each party put up around about elections time? You know the sort, it simply says Labour, or Conservative, Lib Dem etc. That's it. No message, except maybe the word, 'VOTE'.

Do people look at this bumf and say, hmm, look, labour have put there bumf higher up on the lampost than the Tories. That shows they aim higher, I'll vote for them! :evil:

Is this not the biggest waste of money/resources/time/paper ever? Or is that politics in general I am talking about....:rofl:

Rules state that they are not to be fixed along the highway/roadside. Unless you own the land or have the land owners permission.
This includes lamp posts or metal railings on a public path or road, most are council owned.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
theclaud said:
:evil: I'll remind Badders that I haven't admitted to anything, just made an observation about fitness of purpose. Anyway, theft is not really the term I'd use. I prefer to think of it as a cross between campaigning and the active redistribution of property.

Property is theft, TC;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Funny how local businesses have to apply to councils for permission before placing advertising boards at the side of a road.

Politicians can stick their inane, grinning, smirking, cringing, creepy profiles everywhere and not be questioned?

buddha

Veteran
<hypothetically speaking>
What's the 'law' in regard to altering these posters. I'm talking BNP ones here:evil:
<hypothetically speaking>

classic33

Leg End Member
ComedyPilot said:
Funny how local businesses have to apply to councils for permission before placing advertising boards at the side of a road.

Politicians can stick their inane, grinning, smirking, cringing, creepy profiles everywhere and not be questioned?

Not strictly true. The same laws apply, no matter what type of advertising is being done.

They should by rights seek planning permission before placing them. This process takes time & effort, two things that they don't want to get involved in. No planning permission makes the sign illegal & the party possible guilty of illegal practices.

Report it to the local council & they are duty bound to remove it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
classic33 said:
Not strictly true. The same laws apply, no matter what type of advertising is being done.

They should by rights seek planning permission before placing them. This process takes time & effort, two things that they don't want to get involved in. No planning permission makes the sign illegal & the party possible guilty of illegal practices.

Report it to the local council & they are duty bound to remove it.

Coooooooooooool

:evil:

darkstar

Pfft some people need to sort their lives out if they are concerned enough to report a 2 meter wide sign supporting someone's political party of choice, which is placed on their own land. Seriously.

Top Bottom