Electric assist on 2 wheel 'bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaddyPaddey

Does anyone have any experience of this? I have trouble on the Fuego climbing the Hampshire hills which tend to be sharp [all right not as bad as the West Country]. Lots of wobbling below 6 mph, so I wondered if some help might not be a good thing, or am I just being stupid?

plantfit

Guru
Not stupid at all I think anything that helps you enjoy cycling has to be a good thing

I bought a 20” 250W front wheel to fit to my Kettwiesel and it goes uphill like the wind... from being a brisk climber as a trike it now goes like a rocket and I was very surprised to find myself claiming KoM on a nearby Strava segment. (I promptly deleted it as I didn’t feel that was fair competition.). As you’ve been musing, hills are a bit of a challenge on my Fuego too and I have thought of trying the wheel out on the bike just to see what it does. The only issue is that most of the time my unassisted Fuego cruises well over the 15.5 mph legal assist limit so I’d be carrying around the extra weight of motor, battery and electronics just for the relatively few troublesome hills; the motor is much more useful on the generally slower trike.

If you do think of fitting e-assist to the Fuego I reckon mounting the battery under the seat would have the most minimal effect on handling and stability; my 13 Ah battery is pretty heavy and mounting it outside the wheelbase or high up would compromise the Fuego's excellent dynamics.

fatjel

Veteran
Having moved to a much hillier area I'm finding the barchetta is not getting any use at all and a motor might just save it from being sold

OP
OP
DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey

I bought a 20” 250W front wheel to fit to my Kettwiesel and it goes uphill like the wind... from being a brisk climber as a trike it now goes like a rocket and I was very surprised to find myself claiming KoM on a nearby Strava segment. (I promptly deleted it as I didn’t feel that was fair competition.). As you’ve been musing, hills are a bit of a challenge on my Fuego too and I have thought of trying the wheel out on the bike just to see what it does. The only issue is that most of the time my unassisted Fuego cruises well over the 15.5 mph legal assist limit so I’d be carrying around the extra weight of motor, battery and electronics just for the relatively few troublesome hills; the motor is much more useful on the generally slower trike.

If you do think of fitting e-assist to the Fuego I reckon mounting the battery under the seat would have the most minimal effect on handling and stability; my 13 Ah battery is pretty heavy and mounting it outside the wheelbase or high up would compromise the Fuego's excellent dynamics.

What make of leccy have you?

OP
OP
DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey

PS I also found that switching from tiller to aerosteer bars made a huge difference to slow speed handling - much cheaper and lighter than e-assist!

Yep so have I

Top Bottom