Electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
sloe said:
Saw one in the flesh just today. Looked like a well thought out and reliable, robust arrangement, took a heavy crash without damage, capable of 30 miles in very hilly terrain off each charge, NiMH. Heavy mind. Could find the name and price of it if you want.
That would be great if you could

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
J4CKO said:
Don't know a lot about them, but i suppose it depends on whether you need the electric assistance, interested as to why, is it based on distance, lots of hills or medical reasons ?

I would always suggest going for a normal bike, as though some of the electrics are good you lose out on some of the main benefit, exercise and end up with a heavy compromised bike when it runs out of battery.
I have a normal bike but but the place I am going to work has a few hills and a really step one it is not to bad when your out for a leisure ride but for commuting in a rush I would need that extra power

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
I have found a bike, it is a Giant Twist Express RS1 it is an upgrade from the Twist Express RS2 the only difference that the RS1 is a 24 speed and the RS2 is 7 speed. It has a motor on it but works with pedal power and the motor will help me to go further and faster. (if that makes sense)
Only thing it's not available till Feb 09 :biggrin:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Ok, I rode a Giant "Hybrid" electric bike about 3 weeks ago, and was impressed! Now, I'll grant you, I only rode it around the bike shop lot, but it had a short, but reasonably steep hill behind the building. I intentionally approached the hill VERY slowly, so I could test it climbing. As soon as I started pedaling, I could feel it pulling me, effortlessly, up the hill.

They call it a "hybrid". I'd call it "electric assist." Whatever you call it, you MUST pedal. It is supposed to somehow, "sense" how much power you are delivering, and adjust it's assist power. It seemed to work well. You can turn it on or off, easily, with a switch on the handlebars.

It was a "comfort bike" design. It comes with a rack, with 2 sealed battery packs, one on each side, that easily snap in or out of the holder. It also comes with small panniers that fit on, outboard of the battery packs. It also comes with mudguards and kickstand.

You use these 2 batteries individually. When the bar-mounted indicator lights indicate that one battery is low, you flip a switch, and it transfers to the other battery. They claim a 70 mile range. Recharge time is supposed to be about 4 hours.

Now, WHY, are we, as cyclists, concerned about what others think? Non-cyclists are already laughing at us! ;-) On this side of the pond, you need a thick skin to ride a bike! I have no need for an electric bike (at THIS time), but if you need one to get you out of a car, by all means, get one! I thought it was pretty cool! I like my bikes, but I certainly wouldn't want to race one of those electric bikes up a hill!

col

Legendary Member
The only thing stopping me getting one at the moment is the cost,a lot of money for a good one i think.Very usefull for commuting with no side effects of normal cycling ie sweating,tired after a 14 hour shift,ect,and i would probably take a longer way just for fun on it.

Twiggy

Only thing I'd suggest is something like a Stokemonkey.
Hub motors are in general, rather rubbish, they have a peak range of efficency.

There are other kits which do the same thing as the Stokemonkey for a non-converted bike, though I'm having trouble digging the link out.
The arguments for are quite simple, bikes have gears, because they allow us to peddle in a steady manner, instead of having to spin our legs around really really fast to go faster, ect. So why not use them with a motor, instead of doubling up (as some of the more expensive geared motors do)

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
the bike I want is pedal assorted motor, I don't want a bike that you can just ride with out pedalling because I will then become dependant on the motor and become lazy.
I want to ride the bike in the normal manner just with some assistance to get to work quicker and not turn up all hot and sweaty

jay clock

Massive member
Im not fit and would struggle with out assistance
I thought that when I started commuting. I was seriously concerned that I would be physically incapable of cycling a 10 mile round trip. Very quickly I was more than able. I appreciate you are trying to sell electric bikes but for much of the population they are not currently a good choice.

But I will put money on them being big in the next 20 years

BobWales

Electric Bikes

I happen to think Electric Bikes have an excellent future for a number of reasons - cheap, affordable transport, no emissions, good for the less fit and great in hilly areas.

I loved cycling as a teenager and needed to cycle when I first started work. But since moving to the Peak District and spending so much time in a car, cycling is now something I do when I have the time and I have become much less fit. In particular I have "bad knees"...

I have an electric bike now and find the joy has come back to cycling. I can cycle with half the effort - still enjoying the wind in my hair and the contact with the world, and gradually build my fitness level again.

The bike I have is a pedal assist, meaning I can add as much effort as I want, but still cope easily with the hills around me.

I chose the bike through a recommendation from a friend who has one and found it reliable. He imported his from Holland for a small fortune, but I tracked down the European importer and have paid only £600 for mine. I know the bike, called Juicy Bike has recently become on sale in the UK and compares well to bikes costing £900 or more. If you can find it I can thoroughly recommend!

Top Bottom