Electric bikes again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Thanks for the links. However, having followed them up I don't think the situation is all that clear cut.

Under UK and EU legislation electric bikes which provide power when you are not pedalling are only legal if they have something called a "type approval certificate". This is apparently costly to obtain, so most manufacturers fit sensors to their bikes which stops the motor if you stop pedalling.

However what makes the situation more confusing is that according to the A to B website, the Department For Transport have said that they understand that Trading Standards are "unlikely to take action" to prevent the sale of electric bicycles which do not have a sensor fitted or a type approval certificate. And Kinetics imply that they will only sell you such a bike if you are prepared to sign some form of exemption.

The situation is indeed confusing, but if we Cycling Illuminati and the electric-bike anoraks at A to B magazine dont know what the bottom line is then the chances of your local over-worked Trading Standards officer or Constable of the parish having the slightest clue is highly unlikely.

Ive Hot-Rodded my LaFree to exceed the 15 mph statutory limit for lecky bikes by FOUR MILES AN HOUR. Im such a rebel! Life on the edge! Let them arrest me if they can catch me!

Mwahahahahahahahha!

spire

To the point
Why do people buy electric bikes?

(This question is not directed at the disabled, whose needs are obvious.)

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
In my case I am looking for a bike for someone who has MS and can't cycle very far unassisted. It needs to be a proper electric bike (rather than a pedalec) in case she runs out of steam and can't peddle any further.

Arch

Married to Night Train
spire said:

What do you mean by disabled? Someone might want one in order to extend the distance they can ride, help them up nasty hills, or to take some of the strain off a damaged knee or ankle joint.

Some people might not realise how much they can improve their fitness, and think they 'need' an electric bike in order to do more than they can currently do...

And some might just fancy a bike that does some of the effort for them, without having to get a Motorbike licence.

Enough?

gpx001

Über Member
spire said:

Could also be to arrive at work in a not too sweaty state, or as a cheap form of transport - certainly beats the bus and the tin-tops. From what I've heard/read some of the lithium powered electrics have an assisted range of 30-40 miles.

BobWales

Hills and knees... for me anyhow. Assisted is better in my opinion. My wife hurt herself by twisting the throttle of a direct drive electric bike when she wasn't clutching the brake - easily done. Pedal assist only works when you move the pedals - no pedal force is required though.

Both types of electric bike conversion kit are available at www.juicybike.co.uk PAS = Pedal Assist or PURE = No need to pedal. So long as the bike isn't doing more than 15Mph, and ridden by someone older than 14yrs, it's legal.

Top Bottom