Electric bikes and pedelecs forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Riverman said:
The battery technology is definitely starting to improve a little but it pains me that a lot of research is going into how to charge batteries as fast as possible rather than increase their capacity. This is almost solely because the motor industry require batteries to charge quickly in order for the electric car to become a more viable mode of transport.

I'm not particularly bothered about the concept of an electric bicycle, the issue is cost. In the long term I think that people are probably a bit optimistic about the costs of what goes into current batteries in electric and hybrid cars, let alone for anything else that might use the same materials.

I didn't go to the bike show in London but I gather there were a great deal of electric bikes there. On the eco and money saving thing someone once told me their electric bike cost about 50p to charge, which is a major disadvantage.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
2p per mile unassisted with no insurance or road tax? That doesn't sound bad to me.

jimboalee

Riverman said:
heh I'm not surprised for that money. That really is a bit wimpish to be honest unless he's disabled.

If you're reasonably fit, sometimes you barely break a sweat on a 1.5 mile commuting route with minimal inclines using a regular bike.

I don't think there's any need to use an electric bike.

Don't get me wrong though, if your friend is enjoying it, then good for him. :smile:

That is how the motor industy see electric bikes.

Believe me. Ten years ago I was testing them. I got laughed at.

potsy

Rambler
Riverman said:
heh I'm not surprised for that money. That really is a bit wimpish to be honest unless he's disabled.

If you're reasonably fit, sometimes you barely break a sweat on a 1.5 mile commuting route with minimal inclines using a regular bike.

I don't think there's any need to use an electric bike.

Don't get me wrong though, if your friend is enjoying it, then good for him. :smile:
No he's just lazy:smile:
Similar size to me 5foot 8inches tall 13.5-14stone just not interested enough to use a bike for fitness.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
But evenso. cycling 3 miles a day isn't going to make you very fit unless there's loads of hills. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess keeping active everyday is the key to keeping fit but unless you do some big rides your level of fitness will surely remain poor especially if you're on the borderline between obese and overweight which I'm afraid to say your friend is.

Therefore I don't think the excuse "I'm not interested in keeping fit" really applies.

They need to make them more reliable. We get no end of calls from people with electric bikes just out of warranty that don't go. And not just the cheap ones either. We've stopped fixing them.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Ah yes, batteries definitely lose their charge after a while. Probably lose about 30-40% of their charge after a year. Again this just reinforces the need to invest in research into battery technology, technology that preferably doesn't favour cars.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Even the ones that cost almost £2k?

Top Bottom