Electric Gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
So after watching this year's tour de france, I noticed that a few riders had electric gear changer thingys on thier bikes.

Can anyone please explain how much of a difference they make?

Thanks as always :laugh:

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
From what I have read on other sources, they are not quite ready for us public yet, but Shimano & Campaq both have their own versions. I recall someone stating that if the batteries fail, then you will be stuck in whatever gear it was in at the time. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/2009-shimano-dura-ace-revealed-15308?img=3

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
yeah I saw that in tour, can't remember the guy's name, but he ended up churning out a big gear for a while.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Benefit is a faster gearchange, which doesn't mean much on your annual audax, but can if the difference between being a world champion and an also ran is half a centimetre.

If it packs up the worst that happens is you are riding home on a single speed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
One other possible advantage is having multiple controls - I've seen a mock up recently of a TT bike with changer buttons positioned both on the aero bars and the "control" bars - interesting idea.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
John the Monkey said:
One other possible advantage is having multiple controls - I've seen a mock up recently of a TT bike with changer buttons positioned both on the aero bars and the "control" bars - interesting idea.

Certainly the Mavic Zap and Mekatronic (sp?) electronic systems did this. I just hope they've got the waterproofing sussed!!!!!

RedBike

Apparently they auto index (not seen them). Hopefully this will put an end to mis-shifts where your gears either don't change or they jump two at a time.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Anyway...
Gears? Why would anyone need them, electric or not?
*gets on single speed* :blush:

yenrod

Ive noticed over the years Shimano gears HARDER and harder to index.

What its down to i dont know.

But i have noticed with the current cables ive got : that its imperative to grease/lube the cable and outers, compared to as it was so I feel that shimano have either narrowed the outers or something totally un-related ie me - which i dont think it is.

Not stupid shimano you know...i know they tweak designs so that you HAVE TO use their equipment and cannot mix&match :blush:

Dont even talk to me about their chains - i wont even ride them NEVER HAVE - never will

If SRAM hadnt bought Sedis industries (:o) then chains would generally still be relatively simple!

Shimano: mess about with things that dont need messing with :blush:

Apparently there's a tactical advantage too - they're quieter, so the guy in front can't hear you changing up just before you jump off to leave him behind. Don't know whether this is true or not.

Nor do I care, my road bike has seven gears, operated by cable.

Keith Oates

Janner
Like most things that are changing on bikes the people who really get to use the advantages are the pro racers and the average Joe doesn't really use them to full affect anyway.......................must remember to order them on my new C50 (I wish)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom