1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric powered front wheel

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by red_tom, 21 May 2008.

1. red_tom

red_tom New Member

2. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

i'm almost speechless. it takes some real skill to make something like that, and it not appear to be an afterthought:biggrin:

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Lol!:biggrin:

4. Night Train

Night Train Guest

That's the same frame as I have. Hmmm, idea!
    Now lets see what I have in the shed to go with the DeWalt batteries....

5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I'm sure I've seen wheels with a petrol engine built in, complete with fuel tank. Surely getting a bunch of Li-Ion cells and a motor in can't be impossible?

6. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Mrs. tdr1nka is convinced that she needs motor assistance for her trike on hills, we saw this while googling electric bike kits.

How bloody heavy must this set up be? Wouldn't want to go down a steep hill with one!!!:biggrin:

7. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Just stick a rubber wheel in the chuck of a battery drill and tell Mrs t to hold it on the tyre and pull the trigger. It will be light, portable and can be used on any vehicle. If you have a DeWalt then she can charge up at any building site!:angry:

8. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Surely the trike will take off down the road without her?!!:angry:
    Actually, it's a tadpole trike so she'd have to face backwards to reach the wheel. I do have a Makita cordless and my faithful charger!:biggrin:

9. Night Train

Night Train Guest

I'm about to try this on my bike on the cycle trainer to see how much power the drill can put through the trainer. The bike computer should give me an MPH reading for the drill power.

10. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Just got 4.5mph using the chuck of an old 12v DeWalt drill on the tyre. I reckon it can go faster.

11. rikki

rikki Veteran

tdr1nka, the blurb says its weighs 40 lbs!

So I stick a 16" wheel and nearly 40 lbs of stuff on the front of my bike and it will be "Fun to Ride, Fast and responsive, with low center of mass".

I think I'll try bolting my bike to the back of a small electric pallet truck instead.

12. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I'd definitely stay with pedal power, that looks horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Kuh, when will they ever learn? That beautiful electically powered front wheel absolutely ruined by that hideous marin...:eek:

14. Good grief. If you click on the link in the OP, it quickly becomes apparent that they're serious.:eek:

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

The ability to be able to hold thirty miles an hour for as long as required on a typical commute would be a real benefit to an awful lot of people. If more people are to be encouraged then this could really be the way forward.