Electric Skate Boards ( or whatever they are called)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
What are the rules governing these devices?

I saw a chap on one today on CS3 from Tower Hill to Westminster. This set me wondering

1. Are the limited by law to a maximum speed. At one point I was doing over 22mph and not catching him up

2. How do they steer, I presume its by use of body weight and position?

3. How does rider control speed and breaking?

Before anyone takes this as meaning I am anti them... precisely the opposite. This chap was more couteous than most cyclists, he stopped at ever read light etc. He had fantastci control of his device. He even wore a full motor cycle helmet.

I was well impressed watching him

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Wow are they still around ? :eek:

The ones I remember were controlled by a wired remote held in one hand - but were petrol

Not sure if they are street legal at all, or ever were for that matter,

But back to your question - this may be it

https://thehoverboard.uk/products/e-cruiser?variant=4751732211747&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwxILdBRBqEiwAHL2R83BE2ols8jly1DVVbq5Y-_n95q-XbT1AUoWmdGnAwkMskqU30GLJRxoCqs8QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Or do you mean a hoverboard? (I'm surprised that Segway allow a business to get away with the very-soundalike name Swegway! :whistle:)

I was out on my bike and saw a man riding up a 15+% local climb ahead of me and I couldn't catch him. I was impressed both by the power of the machine and the skill of the rider.

humboldt

I see a few guys on these shooting around. They use a little remote with their thumb on a wheel to control speed (on the ones I've seen). They don't look too road safe at all IMO; can't imagine any decent pothole not sending you flying if you're doing 20 mph.

I broke my arm on skateboards. I also commuted on long boards.

A decent UNPOWERED long board can get you up to some serious speeds. You steer the same as a skateboard by body weight. You control speed the same way too, foot on the ground, or at much higher speeds you slide to slow down.

I never used them on pavements as they're just way too quick, the skill level required to use one competently is quite high and is a steep curve if you've never been on a board before.

But it was always amusing to overtake cyclists on them :smile:

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
I see a few guys on these shooting around. They use a little remote with their thumb on a wheel to control speed (on the ones I've seen). They don't look too road safe at all IMO; can't imagine any decent pothole not sending you flying if you're doing 20 mph.

Thanks for the answer re speed control.

My intial thoughts were not road safe etc, but watching the chap today, he was in as much control as any cyclist on same section of CS3 and he obeyed all signals etc.

As I said earlier, I was impressed by his skills. I am not sure why him hitting a pothole would be more unsafe than a bike hitting one. Indeed as he is not clipped in etc and in a standing position, it may even be safer in some circumstances after hitting a pothole

D

Deleted member 26715

Illegal for use in UK unless on private land that has no public access

humboldt

Yeah they do have brakes, the speed control applies the brakes and puts the board into reverse if you roll the thumbwheel back I think.

I feel like the average pothole that a bike with larger commuter tyres could potentially soak up with minor effects would really feel like a huge bump to tiny skateboard wheels. Maybe these guys are just amazing at staying upright; I can easily imagine myself going flying sternum first into a wing mirror.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would be interested to know what legislation you think makes it illegal.
They were mentioned the other day in a link in another post written by West Midlands Police I'll see if I can find it, think it was about eBikes

Top Bottom