Electric Skate Boards ( or whatever they are called)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
As it's a motor vehicle, the usual road traffic laws will apply.

DPP v King [2008] EWHC 447 (Admin)

"K was stopped by police whilst riding a 'City Mantis' electric scooter on a public road. The scooter looked like a bicycle except that it did not have any pedals or other means of manual propulsion and it was capable of speeds up to 10 miles per hour. K was charged with driving a motor vehicle whilst disqualified and with no insurance.

At trial the issue arose regarding whether the scooter was a motor vehicle. K was acquitted and the case was passed to the High Court following the decision of the trial judge for definitive determination of whether a 'City Mantis' electric scooter was a motor vehicle as defined in the 1988 Act. The Appeal was allowed and the case was remitted with a direction to convict. The scooter was a motor vehicle according to section 185 of the 1988 Act."

That was contained in the link already provided by @Milkfloat but I've pasted it here separately in case you didn't read it.

Thanks, I missed the post by @Milkfloat completely. S185 does cover it, it appears

On a side note
S185 of the road Traffic Act 1988 has some interesting drafting in it- especially for conveyances exceeding 2540 kgs but under 3050 kgs

Brains

Legendary Member
What are the rules governing these devices?
I saw a chap on one today on CS3 from Tower Hill to Westminster. This set me wondering
1. Are the limited by law to a maximum speed. At one point I was doing over 22mph and not catching him up
2. How do they steer, I presume its by use of body weight and position?
3. How does rider control speed and breaking?
Before anyone takes this as meaning I am anti them... precisely the opposite. This chap was more couteous than most cyclists, he stopped at ever read light etc. He had fantastci control of his device. He even wore a full motor cycle helmet.
I was well impressed watching him

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he is a regular on the route.
(I do CS3 from Tower Hill to Canary Wharf)
He rides a longboard with a big battery on top (probaly from a mobility scooter)
I've tried a few times to slip stream him, but can't keep up as he holds a steady 20mph
Which means he is by far the fastest "cyclist" on CS3

Legal ? I'm sure at that speed/acceleration the longboard is a vehicle.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
If it's the guy I'm thinking of he is a regular on the route.
(I do CS3 from Tower Hill to Canary Wharf)
He rides a longboard with a big battery on top (probaly from a mobility scooter)
I've tried a few times to slip stream him, but can't keep up as he holds a steady 20mph
Which means he is by far the fastest "cyclist" on CS3

Legal ? I'm sure at that speed/acceleration the longboard is a vehicle.

He was going othercway. Tower Hill to Westminster in the morning.

mustang1

Guru
I detest skateboards being used for stunts while on the pavement. I've seen a few times the skateboard slides out and goes flying towards a car.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'd like to go back and see that again.
Go back or forward?

Top Bottom