Electric Skate Boards ( or whatever they are called)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I said earlier, I was impressed by his skills. I am not sure why him hitting a pothole would be more unsafe than a bike hitting one. Indeed as he is not clipped in etc and in a standing position, it may even be safer in some circumstances after hitting a pothole

Never mind a pot hole, a reasonable sized stone can stop a longboard dead. They take quite a bit of skill and awareness to ride.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would be interested to know what legislation you think makes it illegal.
This is not the one I was looking for but explains it https://www.honeycomblifestyle.com/ev/legal-electric-scooter/

classic33

Leg End Member
The DfT added that powered transporters were usually not allowed on UK roads.

It said: "For most powered transporters, their construction is such that they clearly would not comply with the normal vehicle construction rules or with type approval."

This would limit their use to private property with the landowner's permission.

The same rules apply to electric scooters, electric unicycles and the two-wheeled "hoverboards".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44952844

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Thanks to both @Phaeton and @classic33 for those links.

I can see the Highways Act 1835 shall prevent them being used on the footpath. That is clear.

however, none of the articles can provide any legislation to back up the statements that they are illegal on the roads. It would i think make an interesting test case I think if a prosecution for riding an electric skateboard were to be brought.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
"A man accused of stealing a crate of Lucozade while riding a 'hoverboard' may make British legal history….
Omaree Lindsay, 19, from Croydon, Surrey, is believed to be the first named individual to be prosecuted under new laws that ban the use of motorised devices on roads and pavements…

https://fullfact.org/law/hoverboards-and-law/
Not too sure about the veracity of your link, given it states

The Crown Prosecution Service introduced laws banning self-balancing scooters, including hoverboards and single-wheeled 'monopods' in October"

That will be a constitutional first. The CPS do not have the power to introduce laws. That is a matter for the Legislature ie Parliament

humboldt

Not too sure about the veracity of your link, given it states

The Crown Prosecution Service introduced laws banning self-balancing scooters, including hoverboards and single-wheeled 'monopods' in October"

That will be a constitutional first. The CPS do not have the power to introduce laws. That is a matter for the Legislature ie Parliament
If you read the rest of the page it says exactly that though. The Highways Act and a decision by a judge in 2011 that Segways fall under the act make it illegal. The Press Association misreported the law as coming from the CPS and that link is clarifying it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks to both @Phaeton and @classic33 for those links.

I can see the Highways Act 1835 shall prevent them being used on the footpath. That is clear.

however, none of the articles can provide any legislation to back up the statements that they are illegal on the roads. It would i think make an interesting test case I think if a prosecution for riding an electric skateboard were to be brought.

I think if you can get approval via ECWVTA or MSVA and then get them registered and presumably insured you would be ok. This is backed up https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences#dot

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
If you read the rest of the page it says exactly that though. The Highways Act and a decision by a judge in 2011 that Segways fall under the act make it illegal. The Press Association misreported the law as coming from the CPS and that link is clarifying it.

I place no reliance on an article that states the CPS introduce laws.

On another point, The 1835 Act appears to ban the riding on the footpath ( S72). This does not make it illegal to ride it on the road. My point is what is the legislation that bans it on the road!

A judge can't make law, so if a judge has made a decisin, it must be on a point of law. What is that law?

classic33

Leg End Member
the boards are banned from roads because they are classed as motor vehicles but do not meet licence and registration requirements,

&
Any motor vehicle that is used on the road in the UK needs the user to be both licensed and insured along with the vehicle itself, according to the European community whole vehicle type approval, or ECWVTA. The hoverboard must be road legal, which requires it to hit a host of conditions which frankly, it doesn’t.
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/gadget/is-it-legal-use-hoverboard-in-uk-3669469/

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What are the rules governing these devices?

As it's a motor vehicle, the usual road traffic laws will apply.

DPP v King [2008] EWHC 447 (Admin)

"K was stopped by police whilst riding a 'City Mantis' electric scooter on a public road. The scooter looked like a bicycle except that it did not have any pedals or other means of manual propulsion and it was capable of speeds up to 10 miles per hour. K was charged with driving a motor vehicle whilst disqualified and with no insurance.

At trial the issue arose regarding whether the scooter was a motor vehicle. K was acquitted and the case was passed to the High Court following the decision of the trial judge for definitive determination of whether a 'City Mantis' electric scooter was a motor vehicle as defined in the 1988 Act. The Appeal was allowed and the case was remitted with a direction to convict. The scooter was a motor vehicle according to section 185 of the 1988 Act."

That was contained in the link already provided by @Milkfloat but I've pasted it here separately in case you didn't read it.

Top Bottom