Electric trike question......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Been away from these forums for ages, as I never thought I'd have a route back into cycling. Not getting any younger, and various health problems sneaking in have managed to put the mochas on my road bike antics. Anyhow, I've only just become aware of the recumbent trike trend, and it looks like it could well be the answer to my prayers :smile:

So, the question....... I've spotted a HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS 20, with the Swiss electro-assist gubbins, as I'm sure a few of you lot have too, seeing as it's on Gumtree. Anyhow, the thing is, it's done just over 4,000 miles. That's, like, 11 miles a day for a whole year... To me that sounds a lot, but is it? That's where you lot come in with your superior knowledge :hello: Any and all input gratefully received :okay:

fossala

Guru
I saw the listing. I think he change the battery recently.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is Velotechnik the trike company that no longer has any UK dealers?

Most maintenance/spares will be non-make specific, but having to deal abroad could add a layer of complication if you do need a part which is only available from the maker.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Thanks all. From what I can gather, Bikefix in London still sell Velotechnik. Although central London is about the last place in the UK I'd want to go to. Not sure about the chain being replaced, though I'd hope so. Haven't had a reply yet from my initial contact, so I only have the ad details to go from.

If your after a second hand bent trike, have a word with Kevin Dunseath at D-Tek, Little Thetford near Ely.
Tel. 01353 648 177
Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com
He's the person to contact on things second hand as he has contacts all over the country.
He may even be able to find you an electric assist one.

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
there is an ice at £1500 on gum tree as well , a q100 motor direct from China and a new 10ah battery would set you back £600 and install it yourself, would save you a grand .

That looks a nice trike for £1500. The wrong side of London is a killer for me though. If I have to venture anywhere near the M25, I’m having a really bad day. Thanks for the heads-up though. I’ll certainly have a look at what that motor entails. Definitely food for thought.

If your after a second hand bent trike, have a word with Kevin Dunseath at D-Tek, Little Thetford near Ely.
Tel. 01353 648 177
He's the person to contact on things second hand as he has contacts all over the country.

Luck ............ ^_^

Thank you. I’ll give him a bell. Definitely worth a punt. Much obliged :smile:

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Tel. 01353 648 177

Luck ............ ^_^

Contacted Kevin at D-Tek this morning. Seemed a lovely chap on the phone, and is quite optimistic that he can source something for me. We are going to organise a test/fitting session to see what suits, probably mid-August as we are both busy. Thanks again for the heads-up. I'll post back when there is news :smile:

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
There was a slight change in the plan. Popped over to the Ice factory, just to have a peep, as my work takes me down in that direction. Mainly intended just sitting on a Sprint, and an Adventure. And then seeing if either would fit into the back of my Fiat 500. I was convinced they wouldn’t.

The Ice guys and gals were very friendly, and both my sister and I were quickly offered test rides. I was caught by surprise by this, and hadn’t gone dressed for the occasion - long trousers, and a pair of Oxford shoes, lol. Well, got to try out both an Adventure and a Sprint, and totally fell in love with the latter. So much so, that I quickly found myself speccing one, and placing an order. A full suspension, e-assist Sprint X. I’m scheduled to collect it next Wednesday. Oh, and the Sprint fits the tiny Fiat 500. Not much room to spare, and it had to be carefully threaded in. But what a result. Had to contact Kevin at D-tek to let him know, and cancel the session. Felt incredibly guilty, as I had no intention of ordering at the Ice factory. Luckily, Kevin was totally fine about it.

Can’t wait until next Wednesday :smile:

Been there, done that ........ :laugh:

When I first went done to ICE, I was a bit 50-50 about buying a trike as they are a bit costly.
It took me under 30 seconds during my first ride on a Q in the car park to decide, I WANT one of these.
Then I went back two years later to upgrade to a Sprint with IHG all round.

Luck ........ ^_^

Top Bottom