Electronic Parking Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The old handbrake was excellent for scaring the living daylights out of tailgaters on the motorway.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Its the muppets that sit at junctions with their foot on the break that boil my wee wee. Not in proper control, needlessly blinding the driver behind them (people have occasionally been ticketed for that aspect), damaging their brakes through repeated uneven cooling of the discs. Plums, the lot of them.

I seem to have become a very angry pensioner! :laugh:
What's even worse are people have lightly have their foot on the brake pedal while driving normally so their brake lights are always on. Tossers.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Problem is all these "improvements" also add weight to the car which make it sluggish and ultimately people are paying fuel to cart around.

At some stage someone will realise there is a market for a stripped back supermini with a big (preferably electri) engine weighing under a ton.

Until then I'm sticking with my Mk1 Clio, 875kg and brilliant fun to drive.

Those were the days! I like MX5, even the current generation ones because Mazda didn't go nuts by increasing the weight (too much).

tyred

Legendary Member
This is the reason I don't like modern cars. There is so much gadgetry on them and the majority of it serves no useful purpose.

I know someone who ended up with quite a substantial bill trying to sort the electric handbrake on a Passat. VW refused to sort it under warranty as brakes are wear and tear.

If I find the handbrake on my 205 isn't doing it's job I pull off the drums and unstick the self-adjusters - no expense apart from half an hour of my time. Occasionally I might need to replace the shoes or the cables but neither are expensive or difficult.

It worked, it was simple - why make it more complicated to achieve the same end result?

mustang1

Legendary Member
In all the millions of times I must have applied the handbrake over the years I never once thought, "I wish there was an easier way of doing this".

Over complicated bollocks, and yet another way to write off a perfectly serviceable car when it reaches the stage where replacing the faulty gubbins that operate the thing comes to three time what the car is worth.

I think the same about electric windows. And central locking. And then remote central locking. And don't get me started on having the dipstick removed! Wait, now they have turbos? Oh lordy we are doomed! Doomed i tell you! I didn't even need electric windows!

tyred

Legendary Member
What's even worse are people have lightly have their foot on the brake pedal while driving normally so their brake lights are always on. Tossers.

Why do people feel the need to brake so much? I try to read the road and only usually brake when I want to stop. Some people seem to constantly brake even on a straight piece of road with no problems ahead.

mustang1

Legendary Member
. I expect they've just used a power window switch to save money, because Vauxhall are cheap like that. In this implementation you have to try and move off with the brake on, which is I expect no good for the brakes, clutch or tyres. Plus I've stalled it twice on steep hills. The VW version also came on automatically if you let the car roll backwards. The Vauxhall does not.

Vauxhall's suck.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have a car with an electronic hand brake.

It's a piece of piss to use.

Starting on a hill is really complicated:

1. Start engine
2. Drive off

Just taken delivery of one last week so I'm still getting used to it. But I agree, it's much better. Of course I can do hill starts with a manual handbrake but why not use a system that is easier than the manual one?

Mrs N really likes it because it can be quite hard for some to apply the manual handbrake sufficiently on a steep hill. It also encourages her to apply the handbrake more than previously as it's now a flick of a switch that disengages automatically

Buck

Guru
My new car has an electric handbrake - or parking brake as we now have to call them!

Bloody marvellous bit of kit. You lot are all philistines I tell you !!

Works a dream.

Top Bottom