Elephant bike - shopping capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hope you enjoy it. Give it a chance as it is a difference to what you will be used too. When you have it loaded with crap loads of shopping and trundling through the miserable looking people in their metal boxes it will all make sense.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I went for the Olive Green - not the most exciting colour, but couldn’t justify the £50 for a non standard finish.
I found the colour choice the hardest part of selecting my Brompton spec. Sometimes it's easier when stuff only comes in the one colour!

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

They certainly look pretty robust, and I’ve looked at ones a bit like them this week. Holland Bike Shop also have a big range of inexpensive panniers.

One of my friends thinks he has an old Karrimor set in his attic, so I might be able to get those. Whatever I go for, I’d also like the future option of adding a box to the rear rack, so probably needs to be two individual bags rather than a joined set.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I found the colour choice the hardest part of selecting my Brompton spec. Sometimes it's easier when stuff only comes in the one colour!

Haha - I know what you mean, although I tend to agonise over accessories rather than colour; my default is dark coloured bikes.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Here she is in all her glory. I changed the original saddle (massive) to an old B17, but now suspect I’ve done this the wrong way. Pedals will be getting changed soon; I’d prefer a larger platform. About to head out for first test ride.

Attachments

• 0D84ADBA-CDBE-4D18-963A-ECA7ADE6FEF4.jpeg
    0D84ADBA-CDBE-4D18-963A-ECA7ADE6FEF4.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 68D9AEC3-D986-40BE-9A34-F529E118762C.jpeg
    68D9AEC3-D986-40BE-9A34-F529E118762C.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

First impressions from my test trip:

* pretty smooth on the flat
* harder up small hills - definitely won’t be taking it on any actual hills
* the plastic tray is NOISY; I’m sure I was heard several streets away
* riding position feels odd after road bikes, so may have to adjust the saddle position
* pedals not great, but I’ll change them very soon

Overall though, very happy and I’m sure it will be fine as shopping bike (kudos to @IaninSheffield for taking his over the Pennines).

Top Bottom