Elephant bike - shopping capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Interesting that the Elephant bike is reported as handling well under load as it has the same sized wheels. I was given to understand that the classic 'butcher's boy' bike had the smaller front wheel to improve handling under load.
As I've never ridden either, obviously I can't comment from experience.
Anyone - ? :whistle:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Handles fine. It is designed to do a job and does it well.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Interesting that the Elephant bike is reported as handling well under load as it has the same sized wheels. I was given to understand that the classic 'butcher's boy' bike had the smaller front wheel to improve handling under load.
As I've never ridden either, obviously I can't comment from experience.
Anyone - ? :whistle:
My Elephant Bike handles fine. Although I've never fully loaded it at the front, I have toured with 2 panniers and a tent on the rear rack. The wheels are 24" at the front and 26" at the rear btw.

I have one. It sees shamefully low use, it's so difficult to get up and down the steps from my house. When I have my bike shed, that is going to change.

They are magnificent bikes though. Comfy, easy to ride and they make a splendid dent in a car if someone is rude.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My Elephant Bike handles fine. Although I've never fully loaded it at the front, I have toured with 2 panniers and a tent on the rear rack. The wheels are 24" at the front and 26" at the rear btw.

Mine handles great with almost any amount in the front carrier- even way overloaded.

However a couple of shopping bags up front and a large cat litter on the rear carrier and it's squirmy. Not that I care, sometimes cat litter on the back means I can fit more shopping.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I've joined the club!

Been on the hunt for one since I first heard of the elephant bikes a few years ago an everything was either too far away or too expensive or both.

This popped up on Facebook yesterday, so me and my youngest walked the 1.5km to pick it up this morning, condition was much better than it could have been so we rode home with him sat in the front tray, a little unconventional, but worked.

£50 of my hard earned cash. Needs a good tidy up and the rear wheel truing. I've already stuck a new shifter cable on it so might give it a whirl it I end up shopping later.
IMG_20220618_085255.jpg

IMG_20220618_084509.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice, that's my sort of price for bike purchases! If I'm rght in saying the tyres are M+, it was pretty well worth it for those alone. All you need is the obligatory postie shorts whatever the weather, and you're good to go! :laugh:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
As there seems to be a few owners in this thread. Does anyone have a spare rear wheel, my rim has a terrible flat spot / buckle and could do with being rebuilt. But if anyone has a spare wheel I would be interested in buying one.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Latest modification to the Mailstar. I lose the ability to use the royal mail panniers, but gain the ability to carry my youngest.

I can fit other pannier on so should work out ok, plus if I'm doing a big shop I can always take the seat off.

Need to tweak the position, but he loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_144959.jpg
    IMG_20221023_144959.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221023_142523.jpg
    IMG_20221023_142523.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom