Elephant bike - shopping capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
* the plastic tray is NOISY; I’m sure I was heard several streets away

I have a couple of luggage straps permanently attached over the tray/front carrier. Keeps the tray from rattling when empty and good for keeping stuff under control when full.

The rattling can be useful though. Very handy on shared paths.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We cable tied our tray. Don't forget you can move the saddle forward and backwards a bit. Makes all the difference. You will discover the more you ride it you won't notice the heaviness after a while it will just become normal.

Reactions: Dwn

IaninSheffield

Veteran
First impressions from my test trip:

* pretty smooth on the flat
* harder up small hills - definitely won’t be taking it on any actual hills
* the plastic tray is NOISY; I’m sure I was heard several streets away
* riding position feels odd after road bikes, so may have to adjust the saddle position
* pedals not great, but I’ll change them very soon

Overall though, very happy and I’m sure it will be fine as shopping bike (kudos to @IaninSheffield for taking his over the Pennines).
Excellent! I'd echo most of those observations.
For the plastic tray noise, I wrapped and cable-tied bits of old inner tube on the contact points, especially the uppermost rack sections. Then drilled two pairs of holes in the tray base through which I can loop another pair of longer (and reusable) cable ties which hold the tray onto the rack. Seems to work OK and is much quieter.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Just been out on first shopping trip. The front tray can carry a lot of stuff, but even with bungee cords the tendency for everything to jump above the lip of the tray at every bump in the road was a bit alarming. I’ll definitely be getting a deeper box soon (as well as net and/or luggage straps).

Other than that, all very smooth.

Excellent! I'd echo most of those observations.
For the plastic tray noise, I wrapped and cable-tied bits of old inner tube on the contact points, especially the uppermost rack sections. Then drilled two pairs of holes in the tray base through which I can loop another pair of longer (and reusable) cable ties which hold the tray onto the rack. Seems to work OK and is much quieter.

.My Tray had the cable tie holes already drilled. I don't mind a bit of noise as it lets people who are not looking know you are coming:okay:

The big saddle bag style panniers will let you carry more in the bags but will probably limit what you can put on the rack so you may not gain much overall, big packs of loo roll or kitchen paper sit well on the rack as do boxes of nappies and large bags of dry pet food or litter, all of which frees up a lot of pannier space for the heavy stuff

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I went shopping earlier and then went out again to the beer shop and I realise that I never keep the luggage straps tight enough to stop the rattling- I just don't care about it any more!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Like a permanent tingling bell. 😊

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I’ve ordered one of these, and plan to cable tie it to the front carrier. It’s a few inches taller than the tray, so should be better for carrying larger (but not heavier) items. I’ve also got an old set of Karrimor panniers on the way. Should be able to reduce car trips to the supermarket pretty significantly.

An unexpected bonus is that my road bike now seems significantly lighter after a trip on the Elephant!

Attachments

• 957F754A-4864-45F0-96B6-E6BEECE13699.jpeg
    957F754A-4864-45F0-96B6-E6BEECE13699.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
we live just over a mile away from our nearest supermarket (slight uphill)

Uphill empty and downhill loaded is much better than the other way around.

There is a practical load limit for safe handling.

Two large panniers and your front basket filled will probably be plenty.

The last time I fell off was coming to rest with two overloaded rear panniers.

Just as I put my foot down, the front wheel went sideways and up, tipping me and the bike onto the ground.

Inevitably, some of my food shopping spilled, and I felt a right numpty walking after a tin of baked beans which was rolling gently along the cycle track.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The last time I fell off was coming to rest with two overloaded rear panniers.

Just as I put my foot down, the front wheel went sideways and up, tipping me and the bike onto the ground.

I've done exactly the same at a set of traffic lights with a cargo of beer, luckily none ended up getting spilled as that would have upset me more than toppling over!
Having learned the hard way, I don't push my luck with heavy unstable loads now. All I will carry is what I will happily walk the same distance with in two shopping bags. I would rather go to the shops twice as often with a light load than try to do a week's worth in one hit then struggle to get it home in one piece. Added to which, fresh stuff is fresher the more frequently you buy it.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I did exactly the same yesterday but was stopping to check directions and my cargo was my 3 year old son, oops.

Managed to make the fall very slow and he was fine .

Top Bottom