1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephants or mammoths ?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by nickwill, 13 Jul 2007.

1. nickwill

nickwill New Member

2. spesh

spesh Well-Known Member

Signature bandwagons are just sooooooooooo last forum! :?:

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Having just been learning to spin, I suppose if I had a baby mammoth I could use the fleece to make sweaters as well as asking it to help me with domestic automotive duties. But I dunno. I like elephants. I think I'll stick with them for now.

Also of course, mammoths are currently pie in the sky and jam tomorrow, while elephants are here and now... I think the waiting list for a mammoth will be even longer than that for a heffalump.

4. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

Mammoths are the hippies of the Proboscidea world.

5. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

If they did clone a mammoth, would it be dopey and friendly like the Indian ones or bad tempered and stroppy like the African ones.

Note Bonj, that is another difference besides ear size. No doubt somebody will break the concept of species and speciation to you gently at a later date.

6. Arch

I thought about it, but couldn't be bothered...

Good question about temperament - not sure anyone knows what they were like - although they were around at the same time as man, it was well before any written history. Apparently sometimes males would fight, and those big curvy tusks would get interlocked leading the animals being trapped together and dying of starvation - their skeletons being found still locked together. That's either dedication to aggression, or sheer daftness...

I expect they'd pretty much ignore you until you provoked 'em, and then they'd swat you pretty effectively.

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Bonj probably knows what the temperament of a woolly mammoth was probably like.

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

i've uploaded a baby mammoth avatar. so there.

9. hellenback

hellenback New Member

Bonj's mammoth looks quite chilled in the photo. That'll be all the ice and that.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

The temperament might have more to do with the environment of where they live, than their genetic make-up. African ones are probably stroppy because the Africans are always making them work whereas the indians are a lot more chilled out, long dress and sandals-wearing ghandi-style people. Besides there's war in just about every other country in africa, they're probably a bit nervous what with hearing all that gunfire in the distance.

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

no elephants in kashmir then

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

don't know! - maybe?! :?:
    perhaps there are but they're stroppy?
    Or maybe they're still fairly left wing like most indian elephants, but a bit disappointed about the constant tussle for land and as such are more inclined to put their foot down and demanda rest when they're constantly being made to carry guns to the front line?

13. Oh gawd, have we got this going on in both fora then ? :?:

14. Arch

<pssst> It's Indian elephants that work, not African ones...

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Does that mean that the mammoths at Wookey Hole would have enjoyed cave-diving and cheese?

Well, you learn something new every day.